Is 395g off of each boob worthy of a reduction?

i am 5ft 2 and 140lbs and have 34G breasts (UK) my Ps says no lipo necessary and will only take approx up to 400g off of each breast. It;s sounds too little to me. I want to be a D cup.

Breast Reduction with regards to cup size and amount to be removed

Breast Reduction is one of the surgeries performed by plastic surgeons which has the highest patient satisfaction score. At the end of the day, enough breast tissue should be removed to help alleviate your back pain. The exact amount of breast tissue depends on your how much tissue is present and also how small or big you want as your end result. Bra sizes are not standardized and therefore, your plastic surgeon cannot guarantee a certain size. At the same time, telling your surgeon what you want to be, helps give them a better idea of the result you are looking for.

In the United States, insurance companies use the Schnur Score to dictate the minimum amount of breast tissue which needs to be removed, for insurance to cover the case. Given your height and weight, a minimum of 375 grams of tissue would need to be removed for your case to be covered by insurance.

At the end of the day, you need to have a discussion with your plastic surgeon as to what you are seeking and make sure that you are both on the same page. Good Luck with your procedure.

Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Personally, with a G cup, I would remove more than 500 grams per breast to alleviate your musculoskeletal issues.  In the US, we only get one crack at surgery on the insurance so an inadequate reduction is a recipe for continued pain down the road.

Cup size after reduction

400 grams off per side equates to about 2 lbs off total, so in my mind if this is the difference between you having back pain and not, then it is quite worthwhile. I often tell my patients to consider the long term - if women if your family tend to get larger in life in terms of their chest sizes, you should take this into consideration and aim for a slightly smaller cup size so your back pain issues won't recur later in life.

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction: careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication are important…

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

As you can imagine, much will depend on your current breast size (cup sizes can be quite arbitrary…) and goals.  Generally speaking, I would consider a 395 gram reduction a relatively small reduction.

If I were seeing you in consultation, I would ask to look at your goal photographs; after doing so, I would be able to help you with a prediction of what you might expect in terms of anticipated weight of tissue removed. Keep in mind however that there is no specific/reliable correlation between the amount of tissue removed and cup sizes achieved.

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Again, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

In your case, given the concerns, I would suggest that you meet with two more board-certified plastic surgeons before making final decisions.  Ultimately, you will  want to feel comfortable that your plastic surgeon has a significant/demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You will also want to feel comfortable about your both on the same page when it comes to desired outcome.  Again, careful communication is key.