Do I need a reduction?

I am a 32 F bra size but I am only 5'1 I have been having really bad chest pain for 5 months now, the pain is so sharp and painful. I struggle to get enough air into my lungs even if I just walk up the stairs I have to sit for little while but I still can't get enough air in my lungs. I have been to the doctors and was told that my breast are heavy on my chest, but she also said that my breast aren't over size an to just keep taken paracetamol. What do I do now the pain is so bad ?

Do I need a reduction?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description and pictures, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Make sure you have your chest pain and shortness of breathe fully evaluated. “Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts. Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons. When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.    I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Scarless breast reduction

This sounds like this would be as much a functional operation as it would be aesthetic. see if you can find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in the Liposuction only procedure. It's a quick, simple, safer, no visible scar alternative to a traditional reduction.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely and you will say to yourself " why did I not do it before? ". Most patients think it is a difficult operation to recover from. It actually is one of the easiest operations to recover from because the breasts are skin organs and you are having a skin operation, so to speak. I have performed over 1700 reductions and it is esily my prefrerred opeartions beacuse of the patients happiness, ease of recovery, etc. It is also easy to teach to residents and younger surgeons. Do not wait much longer. Best of luck.

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Breast Reduction?

The things that make a woman a candidate for breast reduction are disproportionately large breasts and some sort of associated medical problem(s).  Those problems can range from chronic yeast infections under the breasts to rashes to pain in the neck, back, shoulders, chest, or breasts. 

I don't know how much you weigh, but, generally, F cup breasts would be considered disproportionately large for someone who is only 5'1" tall.  And you certainly have symptoms.  So, I would have to say that you seem to be a good candidate for the procedure, which can often be truly life changing.  And you probably have a good chance of being able to get insurance coverage for the surgery.   

As a preliminary step, I suggest you try to get some relief with an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen; and Physical Therapy can often be helpful.  If these conservative measures fail, then breast reduction becomes your best option.  And you should have a consultation with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in this procedure.

Best of luck.