I have a very receding chin and my upper jaw is irregular. What should i do? I don't want surgery (Photo)

When i smile, its really weird...and my upper teeth are superior to lower teeth.

Doctor Answers 3

I have a very receding chin, what should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the one very limited photograph, it appears that there's a weak and receding chin profile for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are placed for patients who have weak and receding chin profile to bring the mandible forward to help with facial balance and proportions. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes are placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. In our practice, we use Implantech brand of chin implants for the last 25 years with an excellent success rate. For many examples, diagrams of the implants and more information, please see the video and the link below

Very receding chin but I don't want surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is very weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

 I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  If you don't want a chin implant as described above, the chin can be augmented using a temporary dermal filler like Restylane Lyft or Radiesse.

Hope this helps.

I have a very receding chin and my upper jaw is irregular. What should i do? I don't want surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello thu thu - thanks for your question. If you want to avoid surgery, one option to better project your chin would be to use injectable filler for a chin augmentation. I prefer to use Radiesse for this in my practice. As far as your teeth are concerned, I would see and orthodontist and see if you need braces. 

Find an expert injector in your area for more information.

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.