I am currently a 32G and would like to go down to a D cup. Would my PS use drains? If so, why?

would my PS use drains and if so why?

Drains in breast reduction surgery

Thank you for your question and the use of drains is dependent on your surgeon.  It is not mandatory or required but it does help to reduce the fluids in the breast to help the healing and lessen the bruising.  Every doctor has their preference but I would not worry about this but what you want you over all result to look like.  I would discuss this with your surgeon so both of you will be happy with end result.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

#breastreduction #drains

Drains are surgeon specific. I do not drain all breasts, but in most patients, I do insert a drain during surgery and remove them the next morning.

I think that patients have less bruising and swelling with the drains. There is no questions in my mind that they also reduce the risk of post operative hematoma.  Some physicians will disagree this this assessment, but with over 25 years of experience in breast reductions I believe that for most patients drains are effective.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Scarless breast reduction

an option that may be worth looking into is the Scarless, or liposuction only, operation. definitely no drains involved. If you are inquiring make sure you're speaking to a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this variation of the operation. Hope this helps. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Drains and breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The use of drains  for breast reduction surgery is surgeon  dependent (not “mandatory”). Drains are usually used to evacuate fluid (prevent fluid accumulation).

Make sure that you communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon. With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Drains and Breast Reduction.

You know the saying, "Never say never." Well, with that being said, in my practice, we never use drains during breast reduction surgery. I have found that even the extremely large breast reductions such as you, drains offer no advantages, but can potentially cause difficulties. Be sure to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience with breast surgery. Good luck!

Eric E. Wegener, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon