What shall I do about my lower lip asymmetry ? (photos)

I received a blow to the jaw 2 weeks ago, my lip was punctured inside, on my right side. It has healed up, leaving a small scar internally, however my bottom lip now looks asymmetric. Im guessing my skin/gum was pulled back to heal the puncture. what can i do about this, my face isnt looking great after some accidents, and i need to sort this.

Lower lip Asymmetry and Correction

After several months you can have the asymmetry corrected by injecting a small amount of filler.  I would definitely try this before I would attempt anything surgical.  Be sure to consult an expert in cosmetic fillers and scars.  Best, Dr. Green

2 weeks after lip trauma

I would wait at least 9 months before considering any further treatment. To minimize scarring from here, use a gel that contains silicon. The SkinMedica Scar Recovery Gel is a good one.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lower lip asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photo.  Trauma to the lips can cause swelling and this may still be present two weeks later.  Additionally, scars undergo many phases including one that causes contraction of the scar.  Over time, the scar should start to loosen up but this may take a few months.  Together, these two things can cause temporary asymmetry in a healing area.  I would wait a few more weeks before considering any intervention to the area.  If permanent, it can be treated with filler to help even it out.  I hope this helps and best wishes on your recovery!

Natalie Attenello, MD

Lip Fillers to Start

Hi Coja

There is a very wide range of products currently available and the most usual component in modern wrinkle fillers is hyaluronic acid. This substance is found naturally in almost all body tissues. When injected as a filler, it is immediately effective in correcting creases and is slowly absorbed over 6-12 months. Earlier generations of fillers used collagen which was purified from animal tissue and these caused allergic reactions in some patients. Allergic reaction is a rare complication with the modern generation of hyaluronic acid fillers.

If that achieves the look you are after then great. Or you can look at something more permanent and get surgery or a lip implant.

Talk to a qualified and experienced surgeon about your concerns and good luck

Lower lip asymmetry after injury

Thank you for asking about your lower lip asymmetry.

• I am so sorry you were injured.
  • Your lip is swollen - 
  • Swelling takes lots of time to subside - 
  • You should see a lot of improvement at  6 weeks, and more over the following year.
  • Do nothing until 6 months after the injury - chances are you will need nothing done.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.