Lower face/neck lift or smart lipo laser procedure for a double chin and loose skin under jawline, chin, and neck area?

I'm in early 40's. I lost weight due to an illness last year, that caused the skin under my jawline, chin, and neck to sag. Now, I have a double chin, and visible loose, crepey, vertical wrinkled skin on the front of my neck. One plastic surgeon recommended doing a mini neck shrink lift with a smart lipo laser to melt and remove the fat, then shrink the loose skin under my chin. I'm afraid, this procedure might not adequately address the loose skin in my neck area. What are other options?

Kybella vs. Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift

I believe your first option is to consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Your options include either Kybella or the Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift. Kybella is the only-FDA approved injectable to improve the appearance of submental fullness, or double chin. This new-to-the-market technique allows minimal recovery time and quick results as many patients experienced visible results in two to four 15-20 minute in-office treatments. The Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift is the technique that I created and refined. Please see the video attached.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin in neck

Although lips ( laser or otherwise) can reduce the fatty layer under the skin it will not tighten skin. A lower facelift with possible simultaneous neck lipo can do both and probably would be needed if you have lost a lot of weight. With some of the newer skin tightening technologies it is possible that a reasonable result can be had in a younger patient like you without a formal necklift surgery so time will tell on those procedures..

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Lower face/neck lift or smart lipo laser

You want information on how to change your appearance and which procedure would be best without knowing what you look like? How would that be possible? But I can tell you laser liposuction does not give any appreciable tightening to the skin.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Double Chin, Loose neck skin, Lower Facelift

• Tightening of the neck skin requires a direct approach to the neck. Options include the Precision Tx internal laser to improve the wrinkling, tighten the neck and reduce jowls and double chin. Liposuction of the submental region and jowls will tighten and smooth these areas. Botox or excision of Platysma muscle bands will improve subcutaneous banding. A neck lift will tighten neck skin; some patients are dissapointed due to recurrence of the fine wrinkles under the chin. Fillers in the area surrounding the corners of the mouth including fat injections and Artefil may be helpful.
    Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Lite Lift vs Non Surgical Approaches

You have a number of non-surgical choices including laser such as the Sciton Skin Tyte or BBL platforms, Radiofrequency (internal such as ThermiRF injectable and external) and Ultrasound. A consultation of course is required for the best recommendation.
Surgery is more likely to be indicated based on your description: see the below link for more information.

Get more opinions

There are several ways to address the neck area. If you have lost weight, then fat in the neck may not be the problem. Smart lipo will not get rid of loose skin. Perhaps you need a neck lift or a platysmaplasty. See a board certified plastic surgeon and get another opinion.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Laser does not lift the skin

Lasers can tighten the skin to a small degree, but if your skin is loose, the best procedure to do will require some degree of lifting.  It may involve a neck lift or a lower facelift to address the jowls.  The only thing the laser liposuction can achieve improvement of the double chin.  There are some less invasive options for neck lifting which do not require going under general anesthesia, but they do involve tightening the neck muscles and removing the skin excess.

Treatment for loose skin, double chin after weight loss.

A definitive answer to what would be best for you could only come after a face to face consultation and a full examination.  There are some points to consider though.  One, laser liposuction will not appreciably tighten your neck skin.  Two, if you have lax skin from weight lose, the best treatment for that would be either neck/lower facelift or a full facelift, depending on your specific anatomy.  I know of no other options which will RELIABLY correct the issues you mentioned.

Options for a lower face and neck procedure

The lower facelift will tighten the neck muscles, remove the excess neck fat, tighten the neck skin, lift the jowls from the jawline and lift the marionette lines.

A full facelift will achieve everything described above as well as lifting the cheeks and tightening the temple area.

You sound like you would do well with a lower facelift.

If you would like more information on the different types of facelifts, please read my book "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging Through Skincare, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Lower Neck Lift

Hello Sunnieskies, 

Unfortunately I did not see any photos.

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

Normally, in patients with laxity in the sub mental area (double chin) we consider liposuction to address the excess fat, and a neck lift/face lift to address the muscular and skin laxity.

I would consult with a facial plastic surgeon in your area who can help guide you through your options.

Good Luck, 

Dr. S

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon