Can I get highly cohesive gel (gummy bear) implants if I have Lupus?

I have seen answers that say I should consult with my immunologist/rheumatolgoist. All things good with my rheumatolgist my question is can I get the gummy bear implants? I have silicone saline fill now. I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon and he said he has had higher incidents of capsular contracture and reactions. I had a lift that I am not happy with, the surgeon didn't fill to the amount I had requested. I had request 200-250 more saline that what I had and he only filled with 180.

Gummy bear (silicone Implants) and Lupus

Yes there is no reason you can't have any of the silicone implants used for your breast augmentation.  There is no research demonstrating any cause and affect with systemic lupus.

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Implants and Lupus.....No Problem

Highly cohesive gel implants, also known as gummy bear implants, are safe and effective devices.  There are no studies with these implants showing any link to Lupus or other autoimmune conditions.  They can provide outstanding results for the right patient.   Feel free to consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons who can evaluate you!  Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Gel implants with Lupus

Based on my experience I would recommend staying with saline.  If size is the issue then just have your surgeon go bigger but stick with silicone.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Highly Cohesive Gel Implants...Myth vs. Reality

Due to the media friendly nickname ("gummy bear"), highly cohesive gel implants have created ample fodder for myth.These devices are very safe and actually have the lowest incidence of contracture. Additionally, due to the enhanced cross linking and the cohesive quality it imparts, these devices are less susceptible to the classic notion of gel leak (picture a gummy bear sliced in half).  There is also no documented association with Lupus in the available literature.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear implants

It is unfortunate to hear you didn't have the outcome you wanted from your prior surgery. Their is no contraindication to highly cohesive gel implants in lupus patients(that is published or we know of currently). capsular contracture is a process we do not fully understand. Implant type, pocket selection and technique all play a role in capsular contracture.

Highly Cohesive Silicone Gel Implants

Hello,Unfortunately, the surgeon you consulted with gave you incorrect information. Highly cohesive, form stable, shaped and texture silicone gel breast implants have the lowest risk of capsular contracture.  It matters not that you have Lupus, other than you being healthy enough for a surgery. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery and use shaped implants frequently. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS