Is it too soon to go to consultations

I am 19 years old and I know I want to get a breast augmentation. I also know I want to have the procedure done in December of 2015 during winter break because I am a college student and don't want to miss school and they would be healed up relatively well by summer. My question is, when should I start booking consultations?

Too early to start going to consults?

It is not too early to start seeing board-certified plastic surgeons now. Make sure that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in specific.  It takes time to research and plan so now is the perfect time to start.  In addition, December is a very busy time of year because many people are thinking the same thing as you.  Hope this helps and best wishes. 

Never too early to learn about your operation

Thanks for your question... It is CERTAINLY not too early to have your consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon.  Even if you are not thinking about surgery in the near future, you will walk away with a wealth of information that you can think about during the intervening time.  Additionally, if you are considering surgery during winter break, scheduling it soon is a wise idea.  Your situation is not unlike that of many others who like to have surgery during that time, and the December-January break often gets booked very early due to this popularity.

Breast augmentation at 19

You should make your consultations as early as possible so that you can do your homework before committing to surgery. Please note that at 19 you can only get saline implants for your augmentation unless you have asymmetry of your chest and breasts. A consultation is necessary to determine if you are a good candidate for saline versus silicone implant augmentation.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

When to schedule consultations

Thanks for your questions.  When patients have a very specific date in mind (like winter break from school), keep in mind that A LOT of other people are also thinking of having surgery over winter break from school. 

Start your consultations now.  When you find the right surgeon, put your deposit down to get the date you want.  Every year, I have patients that come in and want surgery over winter break.  Unfortunately many of them don't plan ahead and my schedule is already booked. 

Kudos to you for planning ahead.  I wish you the best!

Consultations

It seems that you have a well thought out plan. Just want to let you know that winter break is the busiest time for most plastic surgeons.  Most patients try to get their surgery done before the end of the year and be ready for work/school after the break. If you want to secure your surgery date,  you should start your process no later than this summer.  Another consideration is to decide if you will be OK having saline breast implants.  You have to be 22 to be able to receive silicone implants for a cosmetic breast augmentation.   Some of my patients choose to wait a few years in order to get the silicone implants instead of the saline.  You can go over the pros and cons of each when you are at your consultation. 

Is it too soon to go to consultations?

I think that you can certainly start the process.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Too soon to go to consultations?

Dear Claire

Part of going to a consultation is to decide if a procedure is right for you. For example you want larger breasts but you may decide that the risks are too high and choose not to have the surgery. Therefore, the earlier you start looking the better!!

I think you need to have your surgeon chosen 3 months prior to surgery and for 2-3 different opinions/consults, give yourself 3 months. The latest you should start looking is 6 months before your preferred surgical date.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation timing

Hello Clairebear19-

Now is a good time to find a plastic surgeon who can help you attain the breast enhancement that you desire. You want to find a board certified plastic surgeon whom you trust to optimize the chance of a beautifully sculpted result while minimizing all risks. Try to also find a surgeon who has completed a breast fellowship. Above all, make sure that you like all his/her post op photos...not only in all types of breast work, but in faces, eyes and noses! Because a good plastic surgeon should be able to sculpt all these areas equally well.

Good luck exploring.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Never too early to get a breast augmentation consultation

No, it's never too early to plan something so important and life-changing! After your consultation, you will be much better informed about your surgical options, costs and recovery time. Also, if you need to finance your procedure, this will give you plenty of time to apply for financing and get your credit line secured. Another important aspect of your surgery is your recovery. It's important that you have a responsible adult drive you to your surgical appointment and take care of you afterwards. Since you plan on having your surgery during the holiday season, make certain that your caregiver can be with you during the busy holiday season.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

How far in advance from my surgery should I plan my breast augmentation consultation.

If you plan on several consultations you should start early. December is one of the busy seasons for plastic surgeons, as most people use the holiday time off to recover. With an early consultation you can lock in the desired date for your surgery.

The American Board of Plastic Surgery can help you select a surgeon in your area.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH, FACS

Plasti Surgery

Newport Beach, CA