Do I need it as much as I think - labiaplasty.

When I was younger my vagina got badly irritated and my clitoris and both my lips I went to the hospital and I was this big ordeal I live with the excess skin my lips and my clitoris are very and stresched out hanging down. My right lip is way longer than my left I am so so insecure about it and my body and I can't wear skinny underwear becuase it comes out either side and rubs against my jeans my legs I need a labia plasti and a clitoral hood reduction Please please estimate me a price for this

When you ask for labiaplasty advice and forget to post a pic

Labiaplasty and hood contouring will take care of your excess skin issues effectively in expert hands. All of my work is customized and tailored to your exact specifications and is not one-size-fits-all. Neither are the fees obviously.

Jersey City OB/GYN

Do you need a labiaplasty ?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Labiaplasty procedures include the reduction of the labia minora, clitoral hood and posterior fourchette, all of the areas that appear to be of concern to you. These procedures are done both in the inpatient and outpatient settings and will vary in price based on geographical location and surgeon. When searching for a surgeon in your area, or if you are willing to travel, it is important to look for a physician who is board certified and specializes in labiaplasty procedures. Below is a link to our site to give you an idea of the the anatomy and procedure, as well as costs in our particular area. 

George Shashoua, MD
Austin Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty candidate

Thank you for sharing. Based on your description it sounds like you would a be a good candidate for labiaplasty surgery. Not only are you in physical discomfort/pain due to the anatomy of your labia, but it also sounds like you are experiencing some emotional pain. I recommend you consult in person with a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options for surgery and to make sure you are a candidate. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty

It sounds like a labiaplasty would improve your concerns. This procedure can help improve symmetry, although one side may always be different from the other. This procedure has very high patient satisfaction and should allow you to wear the clothing you desire. Costs vary, but in the Maryland area the prices are ballpark $4000-4500 including anesthesia and facility. Make sure that you see a surgeon that can show you many before and after photos to make you feel comfortable with their experience. Best of luck.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a labiaplasty and what does it cost?

Dear JC,

Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your concerns. 

The labia minora start to develop during puberty when the breasts are stimulated to grow, and can become longer, darker and uneven.  Irritation or trauma can contribute to changes in the size of the labia as well.  Many teenagers start to become uncomfortable as the extra tissue can interfere with exercise and activities, wearing certain clothes and underwear, hygiene, and later, can be pulled or chafed during sexual intercourse.  The extra skin can cause body image concerns like you describe and affect confidence and self-esteem because of feeling different from ones peers, and not being able to do normal routine things without being uncomfortable.

Often when one has larger labia minora, there are extra folds of skin around the clitoral hood.  These can cause problems with access, hygiene and can be an appearance concern due to asymmetry or discoloration.

There are two main types of Labia Minora reduction:  the traditional edge-reducing technique (trims off the darker, thicker edges) and the edge-preserving techniques, that remove a wedge from the middle or lower portion of the labia and maintain the color and texture of the labial edge.  It is very important to find a surgeon (cosmetic-plastic gynecologist, uro-gynecologist or plastic surgeon) who has extensive experience with more than one technique, and who has done hundreds of labiaplasties.  Most Ob/Gyns do not have the training to perform labiaplasty surgery.  Be sure to see lots of before and after pictures, ask how they address possible complications after surgery and find out about the pre-op and post-op care  they provide.

The cost of labiaplasty depends on your location and the experience of the surgeon.  On the average, labiaplasty costs about $5000.  In my practice this fee is all-inclusive of the surgery, anesthesia, any pre-op labs, and all your post-op visits the first year.  If you are unhappy with your results, a revision surgery can be done for no charge if it can be done in the office, or without my fee, if done in the OR, within the first year after surgery.  However, I encourage all of my patients to wait at least 6 months before making any decisions about a revision as minor swellings resolve as time goes on.

You can read more about labiaplasty at the link below.

I hope this information is helpful, and good luck finding the best doctor for you!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Thank you for sharing your question.  The decision to pursue any elective procedure needs to be based on your chief concerns and the ability to have them safely and effectively addressed.  This is a decision that only you can make after a thorough discussion with your surgeon and an in-person evaluation.  Based on your narrative, it is similar to many women who elect to pursue a labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction procedure.  This affords many an improved functional and cosmetic outcome.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation 

Cost of labiaplasty from an experienced surgeon (make sure you get TOTAL "out-the-door" cost, not just the surgeon's fee...)

Yes, it sure seems as if a labiaplasty (possibly with reduction of excessive hood size) would suit you. My recommendation is to research carefully and "interview" the best and most EXPERIENCED 2-3 experts who SPECIALIZE in genital plastic/cosmetic work, and are savvy in BOTH linear/trim & V-wedge techniques, so as to be able to work with your unique anatomy. Our "out-the-door" (including both surgeon's fee, anesthesia, supplies and facility) fee here in Davis, Northern California, ranges between $5000-6000, depending on the complexity of your surgery. We even pay for 1-2 nights at a quality local hotel for our out-of-area visitors. The weblink below will show you many of the > 650 labiaplasties I have performed...

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, Ca, USA

Do I need a labiaplasty?

Based on the description of your anatomy as well as the symptoms that you are experiencing, it sounds like you are an ideal candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.   Of course this can only be determined after a consultation and an examination by a qualified plastic surgeon.  Seek a consultation from a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Do i need labiaplasty?

Keep in mind that a physical exam is first always necessary before recommending any surgery. Nonetheless, your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy) and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  In a multi-center peer reviewed study I was involved in back in 2009, 98% of labiaplasty patients were satisfied with their results and had an improved sexual experience post-operatively.  

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD