Will I get away with not telling anyone I had a tummy tuck?

I am getting a tummy tuck and am not telling my family. I will see them a week afterwards. Will I be able to "fake it" like everything is normal? The only person I have told is the friend who will take care of me. I really do not want to tell anyone else. I will go back to work after 3 weeks to a job I stand at half of the day. Will I be able to fake it there also?

We understand that very often patients having plastic surgery would like to be discrete about it. However, we would like to encourage you to think of surgery as an event to be celebrated. A decision taken to feel better with yourself rather than an event to be hidden.
Many aspects must be taken in consideration. Recovery varies from person to person. It is very possible you will feel better in a week, it is also possible that after the week you still experience discomfort. The other aspect to take in consideration is how different you will look after surgery (I imagine you want to look very different). But if you still want to try to hide your results, consider wearing clothes that are loose and thick.

Telling people about your tummy tuck.

it is your choice wether to celebrate your tuck or hide it. At three weeks you should be able to go on with your life, unnoticed. Especially if your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon, who does a ton of tummy tucks, operates at a certified facility and does the newer drainless tummy tucks. My patients often take a shower forty eight hours after this newer proceedure and return to work before two weeks have passed, not three. All surgeries carry risks so chose your surgeon and operation carefully and good luck. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Your friends and family will know that something is going on…

Thank you for the question.  The tummy tuck operation is a major operation, associated with a significant recovery (often underestimated by patients). Although the recovery experience will differ from one patient to another, I can tell you that you will not be moving normally one week (or even three weeks) after tummy tuck surgery.  There will likely be ongoing discomfort and you may be in the somewhat flexed position at your waistline.  In other words, it is very likely that your family/friends will know that "something is going on".  Of course, is your choice whether or not you disclose exactly what was done or whether you "fabricate".

Tummy tuck and privacy

It is your choice to decide who you tell about your surgery and who you do not tell.  Best of luck!...

Tummytuck Recovery

First off, your cosmetic surgery is your business and yours alone! After one week, you should be able to camouflage your postop swelling and bruising with loose fitting bulky clothing, like sweaters. After 3 weeks, you should be able to return to work and resume the duties you are describing. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD