I had surgery about 6 months ago. My left breast sits higher than the other. Is this normal? (Photo)

Breast Augmentation

I would suggest to contact your Surgeon or see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding your concerns. 

We wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Left Breast Sits Higher Months After Augmentation

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

While asymmetry is usual during the healing process there is nothing to worry about extremely. The best thing to do would be to follow up with your surgeon to make sure that the healing process is still moving along well, and that the placement of implants is not yet complete and they will still settle.

6 months one breast higher than the other

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Asymmetry between one's breasts is the norm and without a pre-operative photo it is difficult to know for sure what asymmetry was present before your procedure.  Best to consult with your surgeon to discuss your particular concerns and result.  Best of luck.

Breast augmentation

It is always difficult to give an informed opinion without seeing your preops but it would appear that both breast implants are sitting high. Best to talk through the pros and cons of further surgery with your PS.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Implant issue

On the one side, the implant did not settle into the pocket.  If it has not after 6 months, you need a revision.  Best of luck.

Breasts - one implant still higher after 6 monts

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation result.

Your photo suggests that the higher implant has not settled in position. Indeed it is possible that other implant has only partially settled - one can't be sure from a photo. I strongly suggest that you see your surgeon for an exam and to schedule a revision to settle one (or both) implants in place is and as needed. This can happen when implants are placed under the muscle - your surgeon had done nothing wrong. If you can feel the implant at the bottom of your breast - it has settled. But if you only feel breast tissue, it probably has not.

Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Slight asymmetry - follow-up with your surgeon

Thank you for your question!

Without before/after pictures and a physical exam, it is hard to tell whether your left breast is higher. It is not instantly obvious from your pictures that there is any asymmetry.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45) in both sides, so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

Also note that any asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts, and it does not fix asymmetry.

Often, the result you seen at 6 months, is the final result. I would suggest you to follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon and share your concerns. They should be able to fix the problem.

Some patients opt to wait and continue with persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps. Some of my patients have done this in the past, and their breasts dropped in under 12 months (i.e., 6 more months) without needing surgery.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Slight Asymmetry

Hard to be certain without physical exam, but it does appear to be slightly high, probably secondary to scar or capsule. Talk to your surgeon as it is easily fixable. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Sitting high

Physical exam will better help us understand your situation.  Most likely your breast are soft and the capsule formed prior to the implant settling on the left side.  Go and see your surgeon because a small procedure can correct this minor deformity.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS