Should I stop strengthening my pecs pre-surgery?

My surgery is 8 weeks away. As a gym frequenter, I'm wondering if I should discontinue any exercises that strengthen my pec majors since those muscles are involved in the surgery. Is there benefit to the surgery itself or recovery by doing so? Or is the opposite true? Thank you!

Exercise Pre/Post Op

Exercising before surgery is usually fine but I'm not aware of specific benefits of this related to healing. After surgery, your Plastic Surgeon will likely give you a timeline for activity restrictions.

All the best

Thank you for your question. If your surgeon is fine with your current situation then the is no need to do any exercise before surgery. 

Doing exercise before surgery

Thanks for your question. Its absolutely good for you to do exercises before surgery because we want our patient to be on the best shape for surgery. After the procedure you will have six to eight weeks of recovery period where you will not do any excursive at all. Good luck and regards.

Ricardo Ventura, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. It is really not necessary to stop excercising, it is not better or worse. What does matter is the plane implants are going to be placed. If you have strong pectoralis major muscles, as in body builders implants should go over the muscle to avoid undesired animation deformities.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

There is no need to discontinue your exercise routine prior to surgery.  There are many benefits to exercise including having your body in optimal shape to prepare for healing.  There is no draw back in continuing to work your pectoral muscles.  Good luck with surgery!

Camille Cash, MD

Preop exercise

Exercising before surgery is a good thing.  But important to ask do you plan on continuing weight training with the chest in the future?  If you are, animation with the pectoralis muscles can be a bothersome issue.  Placing the implants above the muscle may prevent this problem depending on the thickness of your overlying tissues and and other concerns.  Be sure to bring these points up when discussing your breast surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon.

John McFate, MD

Thank you for the question. There is no need (or benefit) to stop upper or lower body exercise prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery. If anything, I think that exercise can be very helpful when it comes to "anxiety control" prior to surgery.

Your plastic surgeon will guide you postoperatively when it comes to resuming activities. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very happy with.

Feel free to continue any exercise prior to surgery. Exercise does increase blood flow and oxygenation to the tissues, which will help improve healing.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Working out pre surgery

Thank you for your question.   It is safe to continue working out in the weeks prior to your surgery. After surgery you will not be able to exercise for several weeks, in my practice it is 4 weeks.  Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.  Dr. Fazilat

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and surgery

I think that it should be fine to continue routine gym exercises up to surgery.  Best to confirm with your surgeon.