Stitch coming through skin under areola. Is this normal? (Photo)

i have a knot from a stictch that popped out under my areola from a breast lift i had done 5 weeks ago. its beige off white in color. is this normal?

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes 6 weeks to heal and I wait 12 months before any scar revision.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Sutures

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

If you find that you are concerned at all about your stitches or sutures it would be best to visit your surgeon right away to have them examined and make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Stitch popping through

Having a stitch pop through is not uncommon.  Just make and appointment to see your surgeon to have it trimmed.  Use antibiotic ointment on it in the meantime.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Stitch coming through skin under areola. Is this normal?

Yes this happens frequently.  Make an appointment and your surgeon will take it out for you.  It is nothing to worry about. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Stitch

Thank you for your question .it is not unusual for an absorbable stitch to "spit" . If you contact your plastic surgeon I am sure  they will be happy to remove this for you . 

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stitch through skin

Thank you for your question.  It is not unusual for a suture to pop through the skin early in the healing process like in your case.  Call your plastic surgeon so you can be seen and the suture removed.  Once removed, your skin should close back up in no time.  Your scars look wonderful only 5 weeks out from surgery.  Congratulations and best wishes!

Suture coming through an incision

This can often happen. These internal sutures are dissolvable, but sometimes our bodies will push them upward and through to the skin. These can be easily pulled by your surgeon.

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Stitch issue

Many times these stitches are absorbable but make their way to the surface and become exposed. Often they can just be trimmed by your surgeon.  Good luck.