What can I do to soften up my areolas and fade scars after breast lift surgery? Been using Bio Oil and Biocornium so far (Photo)

Although my own PS does not believe in scar therapy, he has given me the go ahead to try any kind of scar therapy. I am 7 weeks PO on a breast lift. I'm very pleased with the shape; however my Areolas do not look as soft o r smooth as they used to (see photos) - I did incurr some bruising under the skin of my Areolas. Can anything be done to soften the appearance? Also, what is your recommended scar therapy? Specifics names, brands and instructions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

What can I do to minimize my scars?

I have been using tape therapy for many years and now specifically #ScaRxTape. This is effective, easy to use and inexpensive! I recommend that my patients use it over any #post-surgery scars or injuries for a period of at least three months, changing it as needed which is usually only about once per week. The silicone products are messy, expensive and some of questionable value.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recommended Scar Therapies

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having some difficulties after your breast lift. #Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. If you continue with this problem it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon and have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Tape Therapy Works

'Bio oils' are unproven therapies.  However, mechanical support of the scar for the first three months with tape does improve the scar. It can be something as plain and cheap as paper tape, or it can also be silicone tape.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What can I do to soften up my areolas and fade scars after breast lift surgery? Been using Bio Oil and Biocornium so far.

I recommend using scarfade or biocorneum. You scars will continue to mature over the first year and will become softer and more pale starting 3 months after your surgery. 

Scar therapy

Thsnk  you for your question . Your are correct in your choice of scar therapy . Silicone based products are the best products to use postoperatively on scars . There are actual studies to support it's use . You are early in your wound healing . The final result of a scar is usually seen at a year . 

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Incisions

You are very early in the healing process and the scars will likely soften with time as the scars mature.  I find that in the majority of patients just moisturizers are needed and nothing more. However, there are some that would benefit from silicone based topical agents or sheets, etc..

Scar Care After Breast Lift

It is still quite early in your recovery. Scars can change in appearance for up to 12 to 18 months after surgery. Continue using biocorneum or any other scar treatment that is silicone-based. Being consistent with scar treatment makes all the difference in the end result. That and avoiding/minimizing any ultraviolet exposure to the scars for the first 12 to 18 months.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Scar fade after breast lift surgery

Thank you for the question and photos. You appear to have a great result. I believe in scar therapy. It is a combination of a cream which has a silicone base and massaging the scars regularly.  

I advise my patients to apply a small amount of ScarFade twice a day and massage their scars with firm pressure 3 times a day. This should soften and flatten the scar, continue this regimen for at least 3 months. The color of the scar takes its time to fade over a year. 

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Scar care

Really does work, there is scientific literature to confirm it. Biocorneum is a good product, keep using it for at least the next year and things will continue to improve and soften.