Does this look like skin cancer? (photo)

I've had this mole for about 10 years. It looks and feels odd. Very rough and bumpy. It hasn't changed much. What are the odds of it being skin cancer?

Doctor Answers 4

Does this look like skin cancer?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is always difficult to tell from a photograph, so to be safe your mole should be carefully evaluated. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

When You're Concerned, get a consultation--Mole removal: lasers, radiowave, shave

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you're concerned, I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. Moles can be improved with lasers, radiowave and shave. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very difficult to tell from a photo and I suggest a consultation with a dermatologist for dermoscopy assessment

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

You might also like...

Concerning mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to evaluate your lesion through photographs and to give a diagnosis. In my opinion, any changing or worrisome lesions on the skin should be evaluated by a dermatologist, who can look at the growths with an instrument called a dermatoscope. This scope allows the physician to look at the lesion under higher magnification for any abnormalities, and if any irregularities are present, then a biopsy should be performed. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to evaluate have your lesion evaluated. Take care and good luck. 

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.