How similar is recovery from a BA to recovery from a transabdominal hysterectomy?

A few years ago I had a hysterectomy. The surgeon cut a 3-inch incision just proximal to my pubic bone to remove my uterus, cervix and 3 lbs of fibroid tumors. Although I'm extremely healthy and have a high pain tolerance, the recovery wasn't easy. I was in bed for a week and didn't truly feel normal until about 3 months later. Clearly BAs aren't nearly as traumatic, but does my prior experience with surgery indicate that recovery from a BA might be more difficult for me than it is for others?

Breast augmentation

I think that the discomfort from your hysterectomy is probably more painful than a breast augmentation as other patients have described to me.  Most breast augmentation patients can go back to light duty within 5-7 days, and some even sooner.

You are correct in that recovery from breast augmentation surgery should be much easier than recovery from hysterectomy. I do not think that your prior experience with the hysterectomy will necessarily help when it comes to predicting your  recovery experience with breast augmentation surgery.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Speak to previous patients and learn about their recovery experiences. You will find a lot of information on this website.

In my practice, I suggest that patients have good/reliable help at home for 2 to 4 days after the procedure;  most patients are "over the hump" by that point.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Post surgical pain

Hysterectomy and breast augmentation are entirely different procedures on different areas of the body.  There should be minimal blood loss from the augment which is a relatively short procedure. The source of pain is from the stretching of the muscle following insertion of the implant; my patients report that it is like a faucet which is turned off about 48-72 hours after the procedure.  Pain medication, taken at the appropriate intervals, is key for the first two days.

Recovery from BA

Thanks for your question. People definitely have different reactions to what seems to be the exact same surgery. I would say that BA is likely to be an easier recovery than your hysterectomy, but still several days of fairly significant soreness. Most people are back to feeling pretty well by 3 weeks, and certainly by 3 months. Patients report very occasional "twinges" of pain here and there even up to a year. I hope that helps you a little. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Breast Augmentation

Most people would say that a breast augmentation is easier to recover from than any intra-abdominal surgery. But pain is so different for everyone. My patients always tell me the first 3 days are the toughest but no one is in bed for a week (or even a day!). Some patients take a few pain pills while others stay on the medicine for a week or two. There is a new pain shot called Experrell on the market which can numb up the breast area for 3 days and this may be a good idea for you! To watch live surgery videos, check out our snapchat @drgrawe. Best wishes!

Breast augmentation recovery can be over in only a few days

Thank you for your question and you are exactly right in that breast augmentation recovery is much easier than a hysterectomy.  In fact, most of my patients only take Motrin or Tylenol after surgery and are back at work in a few days.  Exercise can resume at 1 week with heavy weightlifting at 6 weeks.  I also allow my patients to shower the next day!  We could discuss more details during a consultation if you'd like.

Kind regards,

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon