Does my risk of mommy makeover post operative infection increase if I've already developed an infection after a C-section?

I developed a seroma and a staph infection after my last C-section. I had to take two rounds of antibiotics within 6 weeks post partum. I'm considering a tummy tuck, breast augmentation and body contouring.

Mommy Makeover Risks

I'm so sorry you had an #infection after your last C-section!  However, past infections do not necessarily mean you will get an infection from your #mommymakeover.  
Your #boardcertified plastic surgeon will give you plenty of pre-op and post-op instructions that will help minimize your risks of infection, giving you the best possible results and the easiest possible recovery.

In most cases, having had a previous infection does not necessarily increase one's risk of an infection in a subsequent surgery, such as a mommy makeover.  However, you should let your surgeon know about your past infection.  They may want to alter their plan for antibiotic coverage.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues after your C-section.  As long as you were able to effectively eradicate any bacterial infection, it should not predispose you or increase your risk of infection with your mommy makeover.  Hope that this helps.  

Mommy Makeover

Thank you so much for your question. If you are in good health and have completely recovered from your C-section you should not be at any increased risk. I recommend seeking consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation. You will also see a primary care doctor for medical clearance prior to any surgery.

Mommy makeover

Hello and thank you for your question. If you allow at least 6 months to elapse and are otherwise in good health, there should be no increased risk.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Possible increased risk of infection

It would be important to know what bacteria was involved before, though if you are long healed and it was not one of the really bad bacteria (MRSA, VRE...) than you are probably not at higher risk.  I would seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, someone with a good reputation. They will be best at answering your questions.  If you are unsure of their answer, feel free to get a second (or third) opinion.Best of luck to you.

Recurrent Infection

Thank you for your question.  If you are in good health (are not a smoker, and not diabetic), and you have completely recovered from your infection and have healed from the C-section- then you should be fine.  The seroma cavity is most likely in the lower part of the abdomen that will be removed with the tummy tuck specimen.  I recommend speaking to a board certified plastic surgeon who can properly examine you and discuss what the best surgery for you would be.  Practices such as mine also offer imaging to help you better understand what you will look like with different implant sizes.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Great Question!

Hi and thank you for your question!  Most board-certified plastic surgeons will use antibiotics before and during surgery to help minimize any chance of developing a post-operative infection.  These antibiotics will protect you against the microorganisms that cause staph infections.  Some surgeons, myself included, will continue to have you take these antibiotics for a few days after surgery (usually 2-3), especially if drains are used in your abdominoplasty/tummy tuck.  All other factors being equal, I don't think that because you developed an infection/seroma after your C-section, your risk of postoperative infection is going to be higher after a Mommy Makeover.  Thanks again for your question and good luck!

Ryan Marshall, DO
Missoula Plastic Surgeon