Just had my second rhino/septoplasty. How common is it to have the nose go crooked again?

I just have my second surgery and this time we used rib cartlidge. I have only seen the nose without the splint twice in the last 2 weeks since surgery and its sooo straight and looks amazing, but it was so crooked before and I'm worried it will become crooked again like it did before. My last surgery was 5 years ago. How frwquently do noses go completely crooked again?

Straight Nose Achieved!

Excellent news. Congratulations. One of the more challenging tasks for a rhinoplasty surgeon is to straighten a nose that has gone crooked after a previous rhinoplasty. Two things could make your nose become crooked once again- and they are not always predictable: rib graft warping and scar tissue. Hopefully, you will never encounter either of these and your nose will remain straight for the rest of your days. Try not to think about it and just enjoy your result!  

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose

There is a biological element to healing in rhinoplasty that can not be completely controlled by anyone. A good rhinoplasty does everything possible to try and make this favorable. It sounds like you found a great surgeon and have done the most you can to have a good result and avoid further deviation. Time will tell.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

Congratulations!  It is possible that the rib cartilage can warp a bit as it heals.  It is difficult to predict. Best of luck.