Revision Rhinoplasty for polly beak - can I get a refund? How can it be fixed? Do I need a rib graft? (Photo)

I had an closed rhinoplasty 3 months ago I asked the doctor to reduce the tip size and the bony width and for a little hump removal. And now i have a polly beak diformity with a big fat nose which is much worser than my orginal nose on the other hand the doctor has done many thing that i didnt ask him for such as the nostrils and the lingth of my nose,he suggest to make a revision just by remove a cartigle in the pollybbeak side, also he want to do the rivesion in 2weeks.How can this be fixed?

Revision Rhinoplasty: pollybeak deformity & bulbous tip

Hi,

Three months post op is still very early after surgery. Give yourself at least 6 months or more then reevaluate. Although now it appears that you have somewhat of a bulbous tip and pollybeak deformity, you can consider seeking a second opinion from a surgeon who performs many revision rhinoplasties. 

Dr. S

Evaluating rhinoplasty results after 3 months

lolled111

The process of healing for a rhinoplasty procedure is a journey in patience.  In general, is wise to wait a full year to fairly evaluate the results of your surgery, to allow the swelling to resolve and the tissues to heal.  I would caution you to not jump into revision surgery at this time.  

Continue to be patient and good luck!

Julie Edween, DO

Revision surgery

You should wait a full year and sometimes longer for all the swelling to subside before going in of any revision.  Preop photos would be helpful.

Revision of nose

jolet111, I would not recommend such a quick return to the OR. Wait a minimum of 6 months and in the mean time tape your supratip and get Kenalog/5FU injections every 6-8 weeks for a minimum of three injections (assuming you are not pregnant). Then make sure you are seeing an experienced surgeon that does "only faces". See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty for polybeak deformity,etc.

No surgery for at least 6 more months. Your tip needs to be supported and the excess cartilage removed but it is too early to do this. You should get a second opinion in 6 months from a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

You're almost certainly too early for a revision. But there's probably much improvement possible. See the morph I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_lolet111.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

The main changes, which you can probably see on the animation, are to elevate the tip, define the tip. lower the prominence just above the tip, and reduce the strength of your bridge where it begins, high on the nose, just below your eyebrows. I'd love to hear what you think of that morph.

We usually say that a year must go by before a revision, and that can be cheated by a couple of months typically, but three months for a revision is very very early. I'd have your surgeon try to justify that for you. If he goes in too early, it can cause lots of problems.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to determine whether your primary surgeon should be performing your revision.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Most likely, your nose will look better over the next couple of months, as more swelling around the tip goes down. From your history and photos, I doubt it will look great, but probably noticeably better, and you might be more comfortable waiting until the right time for a revision.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon