Reverse Smoking Damage?

Is damage from smoking irreversible, smoked for 10 years, now in my 20's with Irish ancestry. Get botox & fillers regularly while using retin a & sunscreen to try and reverse the damage I've done. Recently had a couple chemical peels, they started me off on a 25% TCA, now using Jessner with 30% combo. Was recommended to have a series. Had a wild upbringing, partying nonstop so now trying to make amends.

A healthy skincare regimen is a great way to help reverse smoking damage.

It sounds like you’re on the right track to taking care of your skin. Because you’re in your 20s, the steps that you take now to preserve your skin can have a long-lasting impact. At your age, the skin is elastic and resilient, and will respond well to BOTOX®, fillers and chemical peels. For a more comprehensive treatment to address any fine lines and wrinkles that remain after BOTOX® and fillers, you might consider microneedling. This med spa procedure stimulates collagen production to improve skin tone and texture. Consult with a cosmetic surgeon who specializes in facial procedures to determine which options are best-suited to your needs.

New York General Surgeon

Improving the skin with peels and lasers

The fact that you stopped smoking and are trying to repair the skin with various treatments is extremely important. The damage can be treated progressively with peels, lasers, and topical agents to markedly improve your skin! Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoke damage

Botox and fillers help with the appearances of wrinkles and volume loss but really does not address the skin color, texture, and tone.   Chemical peels are great for exfoliating the dead skin off.   I would suggest adding IPL for clearing up your skin color and fractional laser for texture and tone.

Erik Suh, MD
Bellevue Family Physician

Smoking and skin

Smoking does permanent damage to the skin. But it is possible to improve the quality of the skin with good skin care regimens and possibly laser or chemical peels.

Looking and Feeling Better

It's so wonderful to hear that you've stopped smoking and are making all these positive changes for yourself - congratulations!It's hard to suggest the best solutions for you without either pictures or hearing about the specific things in your face that you would like to see improve, but generally more dramatic skin changes can be achieved by using lasers and BBL than all the peels in the world. You might find that these treatments are the ones that do the most to help you 'reset' although depending on your issues, ex-smokers can also have volume loss which responds nicely to filler and some issues that Botox can help as well. All the best in your continued progress.

Rebecca Gelber, MD
Incline Village Physician

Skin damage and smoking

It sounds like you are getting good advice and good treatment and I would continue on the same path. Congratulations on changing your life style

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Reversing Skin Damage

Hello, and thank you for your question! Without pictures, it is always difficult to give the most accurate advice, however, generally speaking, most skin damage is reversible with time and care. Skin will regrow collagen, but only when it thinks that it has been wounded.  Therefore, all collagen increasing treatments are based on the concept of the controlled wound.  You do something to the skin, create some small amount of damage, and the skin responds by growing more collagen.  Lasers use heat to create this controlled wound, peels use acids, and microneedling uses physical puncture, however, they are all "getting at" the same healing response. I recommend Retin-A, Vitamin C, and Sunscreen with Zinc at home, and using chemical peels for collagen stimulation in the office. Keep in mind, however, that collagen stimulation is not a "once and done". Since the aging process is continuous, you will need to do 3 or 4 collagen building treatments a year to maintain your skin. You may at some point wish to add laser treatments or microneedling to this regimen, but it sounds like you are doing a great job!

Reverse damage from smoking

yes. You are young and you can undo the damage from prior excesses. Most important is to limit environmental stressors and avoid such as smoking and sun exposure. Regular peels, laser treatments, Botox and fillers are an excellent way to limit aging. Glad you can to your senses

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Smoking

Yes,First is to stop smoking and also reduce sun exposure for best skin. Get on a good skin care regimen to help preserve your skin collagen.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician