What procedure would you recommend to correct/revise my breast lift surgery for my nipples which are an inch too high? (Photo)

I had breast lift without augmentation almost 6 weeks ago (as part of a 'mommy makeover'). While I realize there is still swelling, it's obvious that both the nipples are too high and the left one has a misshapen areola that is far on the outside. What procedure(s) would you recommend to correct this situation? Please mention if you are interested in helping me fix them.

NIpples high?

Are your nipples high or are your breasts bottoming out?  AN exam in person would be most advisable, but for now you have to let your breasts heal.

Nipples too high.......?

Yes I agree your nipples are high.  Its is only 6 weeks but this may not get any better with healing.  Nevertheless be patient and no more surgery for 6 months .   Then what?   High nipples are very difficult to correct but they can be improved.   I believe the transverse incision across the base of your breasts plus a large lenticular excision will bring the nipples down somewhat but not perfect.  You may need a series of these lenticular excisions. Other techniques leave you with superior breast incisions and scars and I do not recommend them.    PS:  The mound raising concept is also valid and can be combined with the transverse incision-excision I have mentioned.  This basically is a variant of the old inverted T breast uplift.  My Best,  Dr C

Re: My Nipples are too high after breast lift ...

Thank you for your question, and images.

I agree that it appears that your nipple seems positioned a high.  Otherwise you seem to be healing well, and have good symmetry.

My recommendation at this point (6 weeks post Op) is to continue your course of healing and reach tissue equilibrium to where the breasts are supple and softened throughout.

It is likely to expect that by three to four months from surgery you will be able to have your lift revised to a more complementary shape overall. You may also require a lower pole wedge excision to help with the final revision.

Thank you,

S.P. Maggi, MD, FACS
drmaggi.com
Austin Plastic Surgery Center

Full breast revision

Dear Amy,

The height of your areolas is a component of both the placement of the areolas during the lift as well as the relaxation of the lower pole of your breasts.  To fully correct and hold in place a lower areola position I would recommend a full breast revision where the lower pole of the breast is tightened and the areola position is lowered.  You may want to wait until all of the swelling and the healing has completed to proceed with the revision.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Changing nipple position with surgery

You will likely have three options - redo the lift but lift only breast tissue, place implants so you have more upper pole fullness or a horizontal skin removal at the bottom of the breast.  Each of these has advantages and disadvantages, but your situation definitely can be made better.

Revision procedure to lower nipples

You may need both internal sutures to close off the pocket and this will push implant higher. Also a crescent excision of skin at the fold may be needed after the implant is in the a more superior location. Good luck. In at least 4 months after the original surgery is the time to do it. Good Luck

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Nipples too high after breast surgery

Your nipple position is unlikely to improve over time. Most likely this will involve placing sutures internally along the bottom of the breast (capsulorraphy sutures), and may also require removal of some extra skin along the bottom of the breasts. I generally have patients wait 3-6 months to heal before I do a revision surgery. This gives the scar capsule around your implant some time to mature so your surgeon will have some good tissue to sew together. You may also benefit from the use of a graft material such as Alloderm or Seri to reinforce the internal repair. Good luck.

Dr J

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lowering of areolas after breast lift

It is important that you return to your surgeon and express your concerns and discuss a plan.

First, it is best to wait at least a few months before conclusions are made about the final results of breast lift surgery.

Second, lowering areolas is problematic.  Generally, one option to improve the relative position and appearance of the areolas is to remove lower pole skin in a transverse pattern above the inframammary fold. Generally, circumareolar techniques can be considered to change the relative position of the areolas a small amount.

Timothy Connall, MD

Nipples too high

Thank you for your pictures. I recommend reducing the distance between the bottom of your areola to your crease. This will shorten the distance and bring your nipples down resulting in overall improvement in the appearance of your breast.

Nipples high following breast reduction

What you have is bottoming out, that is the bulk of the  breast tissue is below the nipple. This usually requires elevation of the breast tissue with some form of internal fixation eg mesh or acellular dermis

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon