What is the probability of having sagging skin if I remove my cheek and chin implants?

I am a 45 year old female and I had cheek and chin implants done 4 weeks ago along with a mini face lift and neck lift. As each day goes by, I'm more convinced that I would rather not have the implants in. At my age, if I remove them, will I experience any results that would be worse? Will my muscles and skin retract back to the way it looked before I had them put in? If I wait too long to take them out, will that be a factor too? Thank you for your reply.

Removing cheek and chin implants

Great question.  Without any pictures (both current and before surgery) it is hard to say what the result would be.  However, in regards to your particular question about sagging skin, and whether or not waiting affects any particular process, those can be answered.  Your skin will not sag from having an implant in place.  The implant itself is placed right on the bone, such that if it is removed, the entire soft tissue/skin envelope redrapes over the bone seamlessly. That being said, it will go back to where you were before surgery.  Waiting affects your end result in that the conveyor belt of time continues to move, and the aging process continues. So should you remove the implants, once the skin and soft tissue envelope redrape, the skin and soft tissue will have undergone the natural changes associated with aging.  My advice would be to wait until the swelling goes down - you are still only 4 weeks post surgery.  Continue to keep your doc involved and mention your concerns to them - they will be able to guide you through the post op process and explain in more detail as they know what particular types of implants were placed, etc.  I hope this helps.  Best of luck.

Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of cheek and chin implant

It's still too early to judge the result of your procedures at only 4 weeks. I would wait 6-8 months postop before deciding removal.  You are still young at 45 years old and even if you remove them later I do not think you will have sagging skin as the skin above the implant usually contracts and de-swells.  The facelift procedure should procure sagging skin if it was done correctly.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal

I suggest waiting 2-3 more weeks and see if the swelling goes down. You might change your mind. I always suggest sliding genioplasty after removal so your tissue does not sag

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Removing cheek implants

Removing the implants will give a noticeable volume loss in the chin and cheek. Once this heals, you always have the option of getting fillers or structural fat grafting to the area. This is less permanent than the implant. I would allow the swelling to completely go down before you do anything drastic. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon