Post-op one week swollen and painful, is this normal? Is the pain going to get better? (photos)

Did Lipo on abs, flanks and back and fat transfer to breasts. As you can see from the pictures am very swollen and very sore, lumpy and painful.I have gone through a lot of pain this normal?Stomach areas still swollen and hard. Very painful especially getting in and out of bed. Is this pain going to get better? A lot of anxiety and my stomach is so warm, worried that this procedure was too much for my body. I have finished my antibiotic doze and am now on painkillers, due to the unexpected pain I have developed panic attacks and anxiety. Am so worried of getting complications.what can you prescribe to calm me down? I would have wanted to be smaller and how do I tell if I have retained water or not?

Liposuction - swollen and painful after 10 days

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Everyone who has liposuction is surprised by the swelling -
  • It does take time to go down.
  • However, one can have a seroma, a fluid collection.
  • So please see your surgeon to be checked.
  • If you are having panic attacks, that is not normal after surgery - and sounds very hard to live with.
  • Perhaps you need to see your regular doctor for a prescription or referral to a therapist to help you through your healing period.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swelling and pain after liposuction

Swelling after liposuction usually starts 2-3 days after liposuction and can last several weeks.  Pain and swelling can vary greatly from person to person depending on the density of the skin, previous surgery, and the aggressiveness of the liposuction.   If pain is not relenting or is getting worse, make sure to see your treating doctor.   Swelling and tenderness to the touch are normal; extreme pain is not.  Tenderness tends to subside with the swelling.  Drink lots of water and follow your post-operative regimen.  If you have concerns, it is never a bad idea to follow up with your doctor.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and pictures. It is hard to make a determination from your pictures is you are healing correctly or if you have a hematoma or infection.  Have you been back to see your PS.  If not, I suggest you make an appointment to see him or her ASAP.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Pain ad swelling after liposuction

It is very normal at this stage experience swelling ( this can varies from person to person).

The swelling can cause discomfort but again pain threshold is different in different patients.

If pain is significant this needs to be checked by your surgeon.

If not other worries in few weeks you will gradually go back to normal.

Ask to your surgeon about lymphatic drainage massage or endermologie as they can help you to recover quicker.

Good luck

Mr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Lipo at one week

At one week out from liposuction, you are going to be swollen. A good proportion of the swelling should subside by about 6-8 weeks, but you will likely have some residual swelling for at least 6 months.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon