Polly beak after a rhinoplasty. (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 18 days ago but my profile is so bad its like Pollybeak Deformity! Is that a pollubeak deformity or swelling

18days postop

At this early stage it is usually swelling that gives the shape of a false Polly Beak. Steroid injections at this stage or oral steroids can help. Use warm compresses, massage the area, avoid sun and salt. RegardsDr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak vs Swelling After Rhinoplasty

It is far too early to assess your results, as your nose will continue to change over the next several weeks to months.  Relay your concerns to your surgeon, as he or she will be able to provide a reasonable timeline of events to expect certain results.

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

You are only 18 days out and you are likely very swollen. Give it time to heal.  Best of luck with your results.

Post rhinoplasty swelling.

Dear Lolet,     Thanks for submitting your picture. From observing your picture, you appear to have fullness in the nasion area (nasal take off) and the pre tip area. That might be due to swelling or due to residual bone (nasion) and cartilage (pre tip). You can get some inclination for the cause by pressing the skin down in these areas. Softness usually means swelling and hardness usually mean hard tissue like bone or cartilage. Having said that, 18 days after surgery is very early in the healing process and I would recommend to wait 3-6 months or longer for final assessment. Sometimes Kenalog injection can help in the swelling reduction by reducing the amount of scar formation. Stay in close contact with your surgeon.             I hope this helps,                         All the best,                                          Dr Widder                                     

Without preop photos and details of your surgery it is impossible to evaluate. In addition, it is far too early to be able to evaluate. Follow your surgeon's instructions, be patient and remember that the tip area will change for at least one year.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Thank you for your question & photographs.It is important to consult with your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have as they know your medical history and surgery best. I would schedule an appointment to have a physical examination of your nose performed by your surgeon. You are very early in your recovery and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side my even heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak after a Rhinoplasty

The healing process after a rhinoplasty will take time.  Swelling in the nose will change significantly over the first few weeks after surgery and can take a year to one and a half years to resolve.  Factors that may prologue swelling are: 1)  Thick nasal skin 2)  Revision nasal surgery For this reason, patients should not worry or judge their final appearance of their nose for at least a few months after surgery.  I would be patient and let yourself heal.  

Over reduced profile

Depends how far postop you are from your rhinoplasty. It doesn't appear that you have a pollybeak. What you are seeing is that the upper portion of your profile has been reduced where it is creating a slope. Some may be due to swelling, especially in the nasal tip.  

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi,It is still too early after rhinoplasty to tell what the result will look like. It is most likely swelling which should improve gradually over the next few months. Stay in touch with your surgeon over the next few months. If the appearance is not to your satisfaction after the swelling is gone, they can guide you to the next steps. Sometimes, surgeons will inject kenalog in the area above the tip after 4-6 weeks after surgery to help the swelling go down a little faster but discuss it with them. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon