Are patients with lipedema at greater risk of developing lymphedema from liposuction than patients without lipedema?

Many lipedema patients believe that they must go to a specially trained surgeon for this type of liposuction. There are only a handful of them in the country and many people do not have access, or have to add travel expenses to the cost. I am curious if it is true or if any BS PS using tumescent and/or WAL is safe enough for lipedema patients?

Lipedema liposuction?

WAL or water assisted liposuction ( Aquashape) appears to have advantages for lipedema patients, as Dr. Stutz has studied.  I have attached a video that should be informative

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for lipidema

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• A person with 'lipidema' does not need to go to a specially trained plastic surgeon.
  • To the best of our knowledge to date, liposuction for 'lipidema' is like any other liposuction.
  • Lipidema describes fat distribution in the legs that stops at the feet -
  • Fat distribution is determined genetically so we assume this tendency is inherited.
  • So it may appear with other inherited problems.
  • But there is no medical research into the condition and judging by current claims that it affects 1/3 of American women - it would appear to be a variant of normal.
  • It is definitely used for as practice marketing.
  • People with 'lipidema' can put themselves with confidence in the hands of any qualified plastic surgeon specializing in aesthetic/cosmetic surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.