Are patients with lipedema at greater risk of developing lymphedema from liposuction than patients without lipedema?
Doctor Answers 2
Liposuction for lipidema
- A person with 'lipidema' does not need to go to a specially trained plastic surgeon.
- To the best of our knowledge to date, liposuction for 'lipidema' is like any other liposuction.
- Lipidema describes fat distribution in the legs that stops at the feet -
- Fat distribution is determined genetically so we assume this tendency is inherited.
- So it may appear with other inherited problems.
- But there is no medical research into the condition and judging by current claims that it affects 1/3 of American women - it would appear to be a variant of normal.
- It is definitely used for as practice marketing.
- People with 'lipidema' can put themselves with confidence in the hands of any qualified plastic surgeon specializing in aesthetic/cosmetic surgery.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.