New IDEAL implant or traditional saline implant? Can't decide. Going with an implant so new makes me nervous! (photos)

There are significant pros and cons to both traditional saline and the new saline ideal implant. The ideal implant is the saline implant redesigned to feel like silicone. If anyone can provide any help I would appreciate it! :) For reference : 20yo, no kids, 5"7, 115lbs. 

IDEAL implant

Natural feel is not the only thing women care about. The FDA approved intact silicone gel implants as safe. However, if a gel implant ruptures the implant and any gel should be removed including the surrounding capsule (capsulectomy). IDEAL® IMPLANT offers women natural feel without the risk of silent rupture. Women value the advantages of IDEAL® IMPLANT over silicone gel:
Rupture Advantages
  • No silent ruptures
  • Saline absorbed, free Silicone Gel remains
  • No MRI needed to detect ruptures
  • Look in the mirror to know implants are intact
  • Easy to remove and replaced if ruptured
Filler Advantages
  • Only saline inside for peace of mind
  • Safety of saline
  • No silicone gel in the body
Clinical Advantages
  • Youthful shape/contour
  • Lower capsule contracture rate
  • Higher rupture strength
  • Low rupture rate

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast augmentation. 

Ideal implant

I have placed about 20 pair of ideal implants in the past 6 months.  My patients and I have both been very happy.  This really is a better version of an implant that has been used for decades so try not to let the "newness" worry you.  Good luck.  Jane  (ps--I am thinking of having my own silicone implants changed to ideal in the near future)

Traditional Saline vs. the Ideal Implant

More women tend to choose silicone breast implants due to the natural feel and appearance. Silicone implants are now made of a cohesive gel which are anti-leak even when cut. Often times a woman has breasts which vary slightly in size. If one breast is slightly smaller than the other, each implant can be filled to a different amount to create better symmetry. Saline tends to be a little less natural feeling than silicone, but it can also create a more dramatic upper breast appearance, which some women prefer. The Ideal Implant™ was created for women who are not comfortable having silicone implants in their body, but desire a more natural feeling implant than traditional saline implants on the market. The unique structure of the Ideal Implant allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline.

IDEAL Implants a Good Option

Thank you for your question.  I would definitely recommend the IDEAL implant. Both the original saline implants and the new IDEAL implants are made of the same materials. The IDEAL implant may feel more  like a silicone implants, with less chance for wrinkling. However, wrinkling is really not a problem if a saline implants is done properly. All implants can wrinkle, but I think it is least likely with the new IDEAL implants. The new IDEAL implant has 2 chambers of saline and internal baffles that allow it to maintain its contour very well, with good projection, and has less chance off rippling. In the original clinical trail of over 500 patients, with a followup of over 5 years, the patient satisfaction rate is near 95% with deflation and capsular contracture rates lower than that of other implant makers. It was FDA approved in 2014 and became commercially available in September of 2015. I have an extensive clinical experience with saline implants and believe the new IDEAL Implant to be the first major advancement in implants during my career.  The patients I have treated with the IDEAL implants have all been very satisfied. I hope this was helpful, good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

New IDEAL implant or traditional saline implant?

Thank you for your question.  Based on my experience using both types of implants you've mentioned, I would definitely recommend the IDEAL implant.  Both the traditional saline and new IDEAL implants are saline implants but the difference is that the old saline implants feel like water balloons, have increased rippling and sloshing is an issue whereas the IDEAL implant feels more natural like silicone implants.  The design of the IDEAL implant of multiple shells, baffles and 2 chambers of saline allow it to maintain its contour very well with good projection, control movement of fluid eliminating sloshing, has less folding and rippling, and fits better onto the chest wall b/c of its low edges.  In a clinical trail of over 500 patients with a followup of over 5 years, the patient satisfaction rate is near 95% with deflation and capsular contracture rates lower than other implant makers.  It was FDA approved in 2014.  The only real downside is that it's more expensive but considering the long-term investment you'd be making, it may be worth it.  Hope that helps.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS