Mohs surgeon rotated sideburn hair into horizontal incision. What is a permanent solution for this unwanted hair?

I had a Mohs surgery 4 months ago for a large basal cell carcinoma on my cheek. Reconstruction utilzed a cheek flap technique. The surgeon made the incision from the corner of my mouth to the corner of my eye, across to the the temple and down through the middle of my sideburn hair to the base of my ear. When my cheek was moved over to cover the defect, my hairline was rotated into the horizontal incision at my temple. I am female and now have hair where it doesn't belong. My hair is grey. Solutions?

Permanent Solution

Thank you for your question. You can try treating it with a laser, and hope there is still some dark color in the follicle. If no result after 2 treatments, you will have to try electrolysis, shaving, or just plucking, waxing or other method. I hope this helps!

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of unwanted facial gray hair

The best option for treating unwanted and gray hair on the face is electrolysis.  Laser treatment is not likely to produce clearance of these hairs

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Permanent solution for unwanted hair on facial flap after Mohs surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma

This is a "Good News/ Bad News" story.
The good news is that your Surgeon was able to close the wound with a flap.
The bad news is that the flap contains GREY hair where it doesn't belong.
To  solve this big problem, there are two options, in my opinion:
1- Electrolysis, as suggested by Dr Weiner. The problem with electrolysis is that it is very time consuming, and multiple sessions are necessary. It is possible, however, that a receding "Hairline" may help slightly.
2)Eflornithine cream ("Vaniqa) does slow the hair growth. It can be used in combination with the Electrolysis.
There is a possibility that your Insurance may help pay for the Electrolysis (and the Vaniqa) since this is a "Side Effect" of your  Surgery.
Eugene Mandrea M D

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Permanent Hair Removal

Permanent hair removal can be accomplished for all types of hair except for gray or white hair.  If there is no pigment then the laser cannot remove the hair.  I would recommend electrolysis for these hairs to permanently remove them.

Removing unwanted gray hair requires electrolysis

The only way to remove gray hair permanently is with electrolysis. Adding dye to the hair has been shown to be ineffective for laser hair removal. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD