Moderate profile for lower pole fullness and looser cleavage?

I presently wear a small 36B and am undergoing a BA primarily to restore volume. In the before/after pictures I've looked at, it seems that moderate profile implants sit lower on the the chest wall and don't produce as tight of a cleavage which are two effects I'm hoping to achieve. Is this generally true? Because my chest is a 36, am I correct in assuming high profile wouldn't be likely the best for me anyway?

Cut to the chase

Since you have a lot of answers here already, I'll try to get straight to your question(s).

Cleavage - this has to do with implant position, not the profile.  In general, a moderate profile implant will be wider than the same volume high profile implant.   so if they are centered on your chest equally, the moderate profile implant will produce more curvature laterally and medially (which is cleavage). *keep in mind the difference between the width is usually very small (several millimeters on each side) unless you're comparing extremely different profiles like low vs. ultra high.

As far as how low they sit on your chest, that has to do with the placement and shape of your breast, not the implant profile.  Both high and moderate profile implants can be placed higher or lower on your chest.  This is a decision that is made by the surgeon to adjust for any mild ptosis or drooping of the breast if you are going to reduce the need for a lift.  This can also be affected by the weight and size of the implants as well as how loose your skin envelope is.

Lastly, with a wider chest at 36in, it is important to make sure you are sized appropriately.  Sometimes, the bras can be very variable depending on manufacturer. Additionally, if you want more cleavage, you will likely need an implant with a wide base regardless of the projection aspect.  

Hope that helps,

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virgina

There are over 100 variations of shape, size, profile and textured implants. Getting the goal look requires a consultation to show the surgeon photos of the look you like and an exam to determine which implant, in your specific body, will get that look.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question. Where the implant sits will depend a lot on the patients anatomy and how the procedure is performed. That is more a factor than the type of implant. 
The difference between high profile and moderate profile will be in shape, diameter, and projection. If you are looking for a more natural shape and projection, go with the medium profile. If you desire more perkiness, projection and cleavage, then go with a high profile. It's important to remember a key principle in picking implants is to make sure the implant and the patients breast diameter are closely matched. Given you may have a wider frame, the medium profile might make more sense in your case. Of course, an in person consultation and exam will be the best way to make that determination. During a consultation, you will have the opportunity to try on several sizers in both HP and MP types. Of my patients, there is a 50/50 split between those who pick HP vs MP. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. There are many factors that come into play when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile for a specific patient.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Thank you for your question.  You are correct, the moderate profile implants tended to produce more lower pole fullness but they are wider then the high profile implants  and certainly can provide good cleavage.  The high profile implants are narrower and tend to produce more fullness above the nipple areola.  To learn more about breast implant profile please read the link below:

Choosing the right implant

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• It is correct that high profile implants, intended to fit more volume into a small chest, are so shaped as to filled the entire chest.
  • They will not create cleavage unless the woman's breasts are already close.
  • If your breasts sit low, so will your moderate plus implants.
  • Since selecting the right implant is very important, you probably need to see your surgeon before your surgeon to make certain your selection is the best for what you want. 
  • My attached video explains how to get the best out of your fitting.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

If you have small or asymmetrical  breasts then and you are not happy for this situation; then you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation operation. As it was also mentioned above,  small breast can be something that woman might want change. However choosing the right operation is the most important step in the planning of the operation. Therefore understanding the needs and the expectation of the patient is the most important thing and it needs a successful evaluation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Deciding implant profile

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want and not overly focus on a specific cup size or implant size.  Through this process, you'll be able to determine the best profile for you.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

The analysis is more complex than your conclusion.  I feel that a mid profile implant gives a wider diameter that is somewhat better for cleavage than in a similar volume high profile implant.  I also feel that mid profiles give a more natural look although I'm sure others will disagree.  Good luck with your choice.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD