Are massages important after having a tummy tuck & fat transfer to the butt?

I was told a minimum of 10 massages were highly recommended after my surgery. I had a tummy tuck & fat transfer, injected in my butt. It's been 3 weeks since my surgery.

Post op massages after lipo with tummy tuck?

Thank you for your inquiry. I usually suggest my patients ultra sounds after surgery or lymphatic massages. This helps a lot for swolleness, and draining faster. After their massages I suggest endermologie at least 8 sessions after 3 weeks of surgery, this is to make skin firmer, and sculpting. Best of luck!  

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Massage after liposuction

I do not recommend a massage nor do I believe that it has any proven substantial benefits on long-term outcomes.

To my knowledge there's no scientific evidence proving the benefit a massage in regards to surgical outcomes.

while the drains are still in after an abdominoplasty I would not undergo massage.

What's most important is following your plastic surgeon's instructions.

Please follow up with your plastic surgeon to see what he or she recommends.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Massage after BBL and tummy tuck

Hi ksuffy,

It is really important to follow your plastic surgeons postoperative instructions.  These recommendations come from his collective experience and literature.  If you pick and choose which instructions you want to follow, your results will be less predictable.  With regards massage and liposuction, it will help with swelling since the liposuction makes it difficult for your body to move fluid naturally.  You can have this done professionally, or just massage the treated areas regularly yourself.  

Hope that helps.

Dr. B

Tummy tuck, fat transfer and massage

I do not usually recommend formal massage for areas treated with fat injection. Best to follow the instructions of your surgeon.

I recommend professional lymphatic massages after liposuction starting 2 weeks after surgery (1-2 per week for 6 weeks).

Post op

I have my patients undergo endermologie to all liposuction sites to help reduce swelling and keep the skin smooth to prevent contour irregularities.  Every surgeon has their own post op regimen.  Best wishes.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Massage after fat transfee

I usually do not recommend any massage after abdominoplasty and fat transfer. I think it is more important to have good impression over the abdomen and liposuction area. 

Alex Kim, MD