How long typically are you down after Lipo and breast augmentation?

I had Lipo about 6 years ago, all over. I now have 20 month old twins and I'm battling the same stubborn bulges I battled prior to Lipo. I'd like to get that done again and also replace my breast implants since they are almost 20 years old. I can't recall how long I was down with my prior surgery, and am wondering if this is even feasible with small children who still require lifting. I can get help for a few weeks but will that be enough?

Recovery periods vary, but you should avoid lifting for at least 1 month.

It can be difficult for moms with young children to deal with the no-lifting requirements when recovering from plastic surgery. If you have liposuction and a breast augmentation, you can likely expect to not do any heavy lifting (including lifting a toddler) for 2 to 4 weeks – your surgeon will advise you on your exact timeline.  As far as the implants, unless you’re having some sort of complication or you suspect a leak, they don’t necessarily have to be replaced due to age. You may be able to leave them in and simply have the liposuction, which will yield a faster recovery. If you want a different size, that’s a different story. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for you. 

Liposuction and breast augmentation - how fast is the recovery?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and liposuction.
  • You certainly have a busy life with toddler twins!
  • But it is smart to do something for yourself too.
  • If the implants are being exchanged, your recovery will be fast.
  • Depending on where the liposuction is needed and how much is removed, recovery will be about 5-10 days.
  • You should have help with your children for a week -
  • Cautious lifting after that is likely to be ok -
  • But have your surgeon review your plan to be sure it's right for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hi thank you for your question. The downtime period is not too bad. Usually it will be around 2-3 days but recommended recovery period is atleast a week. Strenuous activities are not allowed for atleast 6 weeks.
Congratulations on having a twin babies.

Boonchai Taweerattanasil, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision and lipo

The downtime probably won't be too bad since you already had both before.  If you give yourself about a week to go back to light duty you probably will be fine. As for heavy lifting I usually tell patients to avoid that for 4-6 weeks. Best to ask your surgeon.

Ten moths after having twins

Congratulations on the twins, it must be a great joy to have two not just one baby, but I doubt that lipo alone will be of use to you now that you've had twins. See a board certified plastic surgeon who operates at a certified facility and does a ton of tummy tucks and you'll be in good hands. Unless something is wrong with your implants I now rarely recommend exchanging them, which is the opposit of what I thought (and told thousands of patients) years ago. Down time with the new drainless tummy tucks is similar to the down time you had with the old augmentation. Do your home work and be safe, carrying your babies may be an issue before six weeks, and good luck.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon