How long is recommended between procedures under general anaesthesia following massive weight loss?

For post massive weight loss patients who require multiple surgeries I.e tummy tuck, buttock lift, thighplasty, brachioplasty etc how long do you recommend between procedures? Would 7 weeks be sufficient? If one had a tiny 1cm wound that was open on the inner thigh area would this affect a tummy tuck? Would the open would (wound breakdown) cause you to reschedule the tummy tuck?

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I would recommend that you wait 6 months between procedures for optimal results.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Is there a time frame between surgeries...

There is no absolute time frame between procedures. In general, it would be good to have fully recovered from the first procedure before having another in the same general area of the body. So it might be best for a thigh procedure to completely heal before undergoing a tummy tuck which is close by. Obviously, it is advised to follow the instructions of your surgeon. 

Staging surgery

I think that time between surgeries really depends upon multiple factors including the complexity of the surgery, the risk of blood loss, to name a few.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  In most cases it is best to allow yourself time to fully heal in-between operations and I would advise between 3-6 months for procedures.  Hope this helps.

Staged procedures

Hello and thank you for your question. I usually recommend three months in between cases.  Safety is always the number one priority.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD