Does lifting the tip of the nose always change the appearance of the nose from the front view? Are their ways to avoid that?

I have a bulbous tip that's slightly droopy. From front view, I love the tip & how the ball covers nostrils (it is a family trait that would be crushed to lose). Every dr I've met insists on lifting & refining the tip to give me a "normal nose" saying it wouldnt change the front view. I'm no doctor, butwhen I lift the tip manually, I see no way that my nostrils would not show, since the ball would no longer be covering it. I hate how it looks! Sry for lack of pics..happy to email them instead!

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty is the key

short answer is yes. Long answer is that it depends - the key is to do very little to your nose to preserve the natural character of the nose so you don't feel like it is a different nose.  

There are 2 main types of rhinoplasty:

1) cosmetic primary noses with no previous surgery (these should always be done CLOSED aka SCARLESS. 

2) Botched or Revision noses with history of previous surgery ( these usually require a reconstructive surgery which requires open rhinoplasty with an external scar).

If you are a primary nose with no previous surgery, you should ONLY consider closed scarless rhinoplasty (preferred by actresses and celebrities) because there is no risk of external scarring and much less healing and recovery time.  The goal is to finesse and enhance the nose without drastic change.  Meaningful refinement is the key.   All the same surgical maneuvers your nose requires can be performed with a skilled closed scarless surgeon. 

Seek counsel with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs closed scarless rhinoplasty as 100% of his surgical practice so you know you can guarantee the expertise.  (aka don't get your nose done by a breast surgeon or a facelift surgeon).  Doing your nose the first time with the right surgeon is the key to avoid a botched or revision surgery in the future.  All the best!

Nasal tip elevation

Yes, of course the from view ill appear a bit different with elevation of the tip. It likely will not be drastic  if you are do not need a lot of lift. Beset of luck.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. This does not have to necessarily change the front view.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD