What is this leaking out the bottom of my wound three months post op? (Photo)

Hiya I had implant removal with mastoplexy three months ago. I had drains in for five days. The bottom of my right lollipop scar has been oozing on and off since surgery. Swabs have been negative. Any clue why this is still oozing? Do you think I will end up needing scar revision?

Oozing from old incision

Many different things can cause oozing.  You really need to be seen in person. You may not cultures sent as well for fungus as well.

Oozing

It's hard to say why it is oozing, but possibilities could be a retained suture that is contaminated, or sinus tract of scar tissue, or seroma pocket.   Likely you would need a scar revision to get this to resolve. 

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Wound

Your surgeon, who has seen your wound , will be the best one to give you advice about the scar. There may be some suture material that is preventing the wound to heal quickly. Or, you may have a small blood clot or a pocket of fluid that has not yet been absorbed.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Incision Leakage

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It is best to see your PS in person so that he/she can investigate the source of the leakage (infection, suture, leaking/resorbing hematoma, seroma or other source). It is possible to need a scar revision, but talk with your PS for a more detailed discussion and plan.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal site is draining after 3 months

Thank you for asking about your implant removal and mastopexy.

• I am sorry to hear this is happening.
  • One would need to directly examine the wound to have an opinion -
  • There may be a small open cavity, absorbing sutures, old blood or many other causes of persistent wound drainage.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS