If my insurance authorizes to pay for a breast reduction due to neck pain, is a lift usually included?

My GP is referring me to get a breast reduction and i feel like I need them to be lifted up to prevent more pulling. Is it likely this can be done at the same time?

Breast reduction

Thank you for the question and a breast lift is routinely done as part of a breast reduction

Dr Corbin

Is Lift Part of Breast Reduction?

Tightening up the loose breast skin as well as removing excess breast tissue is a routine component of breast reduction.  So, YES, you would get a lift with a breast reduction.

Breast Reduction

Yes, all breast reduction procedures have a lift as a part of the surgery and this is not charged separately. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Lift Included With Breast Reduction?

Yes, the goal of a breast reduction is to create breasts that are lifted, smaller and shapelier! This is done as one procedure and all the surgery should be covered by insurance if it is an approved procedure. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Breast reduction

A lift is part of the deal when performing a breast reduction in most cases. Some will only do liposuction in rare cases, but this does not tighten the skin or lift the breast significantly.

Breast reduction vs lift

Hello and thank you for the question. 99% of all breast reductions include a lift. Both the excess breast tissue and skin are removed and the the breast is reshaped. 

There has been a recent trend in NON lifted reductions done through liposuction alone. That will reduce the size of the breast but not lift it. I do not recommend this technique for a reduction. 

Most reductions take 2-3 hours to complete under general anesthesia. You should factor a week off of work and 4-6 weeks of no exercise. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Does reduction include lifting?

Yes, it does. The lift and reduction are very similar except that the reduction intentionally removes breast tissue.  The nipple areolar complex will be placed appropriately during the procedure as well.

Is a lift usually included in breast reduction surgery?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Yes, regardless of insurance company involvement, when a breast reduction occurs the patient's breasts are "automatically" lifted on her chest wall as well.

Key will be: careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals. Best wishes.

Reduction/ lift?

Yes, when you have a breast reduction, your breasts will also be lifted. Breast lift (mastopexy) and breast reduction are actually similar procedures in many cases. With a lift, skin is removed and breast is reshaped, but little if any breast tissue is removed. With a reduction, the incisions are often similar to breast lift incisions (lollipop or anchor), but breast tissue is removed and the the breast  is then reshaped. Most reduction patients can expect significantly smaller breasts that are uplifted.

Best wishes-