Fixing crooked nose without grafting?

I've read that there is a suture technique for fixing a curved nose and that grafting can be avoided in some scenarios. Can you tell me more about grafting alternatives (even if the improvement is only slight)? I am two months out from a broken nose. 2/3 doctors have told me that shaving the bump on the left side will reduce the appearance of the curve. 1 insisted grafting was necessary. I don't want to simply shave it to find it didn't fix the entire aesthetic issue. Very interested in sutures

Grafting/Sutures Etc.

Without seeing photos I can only answer in a general manner. If your nose is crooked after an accident there are several options which can repair the damage and make it straight again. Suturing the crooked cartilage can help to straighten the middle and lower parts of the nose. Many different types of suture techniques have been described and what is right for you depends on the problems present. Grafts are simply cartilage which is moved from one place to another to help support or contour the nose. It is your own living tissue, which make it safe and reliable. Most rhinoplasty surgeons try to avoid any artificial materials in the nose. 

I hope this helps define these issues for you.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Dear rhinoplasty candidate,

Front and side view pictures would have been very helpful. The goal of rhinoplasty is to create a balanced and harmonious nose in relation to the face. Different aesthetic consideration are applied for males and females.

As the expression goes " there are many ways to skin a cat", so there are different techniques to achieve the goal of attractive nose.

Communication with your surgeon is critical for a satisfying outcome. In my practice, I use life size photo graph for surgical planning. The drawings on the tracing paper is reviewed with the patient and any changes requested by the patient, within the realm of possibility,  are made. 

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeon who do lots of rhinoplasty surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.

Dr Widder

Fixing a Crooked Nose

Select an experienced surgeon who shows you examples of other patients after surgery for a broken nose. Once again, I say pick the surgeon, not the technique.

Fixing a Crooked Nose

Hi and thanks for your question.  Here is what makes sense for you.  There is no need for you to worry about what technique will be used to fix your crooked nose.  There are multiple techniques. When I do a rhinoplasty on a crooked nose, I open up the nose (open rhinoplasty) and I see what exactly is causing the issue and I decide the best way to correct it. I often use multiple techniques in a single surgery.  What you need to worry about is finding a rhinoplasty surgeon with a great deal of experience fixing crooked noses.  Unless you are an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, you have no basis to decide what technique would be best for you. Good luck.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated nose

If your nose deviation is not just bone, then you will likely need some sort of septoplasty and +/- grafts and/or suturing techniques to try to straighten it. Best of luck.

Fixing the crooked nose without cartilage grafting

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about what may be required with the difficult surgical procedure known as a rhinoplasty.  When the nasal bones themselves are the only component that is making the nose crooked, osteotomies will be  required to straighten them.  If the dorsal hump itself is asymmetrical on one side, that could be filed down to make it more symmetrical.   If the upper lateral cartilages in the midportion of the nose are asymmetrical and concave, then a cartilaginous spreader graft is placed underneath the concave side to make it look like the opposite or convex side.  When the nasal tip cartilages are crooked and asymmetrical, and asymmetrical cartilage removal and suture techniques can be used.  A broken nose is usually not make nasal tip cartilages asymmetric.  For more information and many before and after examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Fixing crooked nose without grafting?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon