Once you've had one filler are you committed to it?

I had juvederm in my tear troughs a few months ago and The effects have begun to fade. My question is, would it have to be juvederm again or is it safe to try another type? Do they mix under the skin?

Fillers unde the Eyes

Facial filers can be "mixed" or used in the same location.  I often use a combination of fillers or injectables on the same patient for different areas of the face.  Some fillers such as Belotero or Restylane silk are designed for the fine wrinkles around the mouth and under the eyes, whereas others such as Juvederm Voluma are designed for the areas of the mid-face/cheeks to give you an immediate lift.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections for the best cosmetic results.

Mixing fillers

We use multiple fillers all the time.  Certain ones work better in certain areas, and you can place one deeper and another more superficially.   Juvederm is not the filler of choice for lower lids as it can swell quite a bit and cause edema there.  So I would recommend a different filler there anyway.      

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Using different filler brands

Thanks for your question.  Once you have one type of filler you are not necessarily stuck with using the same filler in the future.  I'd suggest telling your injector all previous fillers you have tried, to ensure there is no problem.

Different filler brands can be mixed without problems

Many patients switch brands of fillers, and there is no problem with doing so. The filler types that can be used safely under the eye are all basically the same substance (hyaluronic acid), so there is no problem with them being injected at separate sessions or even at the same time.

The only time I recommend caution with mixing fillers is when injecting the collagen stimulator Sculptra near another filler that has not completely worn off. As the collagen grows, the other filler can be pushed outward from underneath creating unwanted contours or puffiness. For this reason, it's best to avoid injecting Sculptra in areas where other filler was used until the effects have faded. Best wishes. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

There is no issue placing a different filler in tear troughs after Juvederm wears off.

I would definitely switch fillers for the tear toughs.  Restylane is my choice for this area, as well as Sculptra.  There is absolutely no problem with switching products for this area.  Keep in mind that there could be late edema from the previously placed Juvederm which I have seen years later.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Changing fillers

Hi.  It's perfectly fine to try a different type of filler.  There's no problem with switching.  Sometimes, many physicians will "layer" different products together - one type of filler for the deep injection, and a second one for the superficial injections - and this actually works very well, and there's no incompatibility issues.

Fillers

It is safe to use different brands of fillers. Certain types of fillers look better in particular areas of the face, while others are best in different areas. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mixing fillers is okay

If you have had filler one time and decide to not do it again, you are not committed to continue it. However, the results will fade away and eventually your skin will go back to baseline. Future treatments are needed to maintain the correction. Yes, it is okay to mix fillers at any given point in time.

Mary E. Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

You can change fillers

The most important thing is to disclose to your doctor what you had in the area before. He/she may have specific experience on mixing fillers. Generally speaking, we use different fillers for different areas of the face so they can mix. As long as you go to a qualified plastic surgeon who has experience with injecting multiple fillers, you should be okay and you are not stuck using Juvederm in the future.

No, there's no issues mixing another suitable HA filler to the area.  Restylane silk would be appropriate.