If a Dr was referred by multiple ENT and plastic surgeons, does that automatically mean he is good? Or he has a lot of friends?

I was referred to a doctor by multiple other doctors; however, I do not know any patients who have been to him. I don't know anyone who has had a nose job at all, so I don't have any personal referrals. When I met with him, he did not have a book of before/afters, and only showed me a handful on his computer. They were great, but I read here the dr should show you hundreds of photos. Is that ALWAYS the case? He seems to be big on revisions..does that mean I should avoid for primary?

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty is the key

There are 2 main types of rhinoplasty:

1) cosmetic primary noses with no previous surgery (these should always be done CLOSED aka SCARLESS. 

2) Botched or Revision noses with history of previous surgery ( these usually require a reconstructive surgery which requires open rhinoplasty with an external scar).

If you are a primary nose with no previous surgery, you should ONLY consider closed scarless rhinoplasty (preferred by actresses and celebrities) because there is no risk of external scarring and much less healing and recovery time.  The goal is to finesse and enhance the nose without drastic change.  Meaningful refinement is the key.   All the same surgical maneuvers your nose requires can be performed with a skilled closed scarless surgeon. 

Seek counsel with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs closed scarless rhinoplasty as 100% of his surgical practice so you know you can guarantee the expertise.  (aka don't get your nose done by a breast surgeon or a facelift surgeon).  Doing your nose the first time with the right surgeon is the key to avoid a botched or revision surgery in the future.  All the best!

Pick a Surgeon Because He is Recommended by Multiple Other Surgeons

The referrals you mention are important but an experienced surgeon can show you multiple excellent results that you like. If you still have doubts ask if you can meet a couple of his previous patients.An excellent revision surgeon will also do great primary rhinoplasty surgery.

Referral

You are correct.  He can be good or he can also have a lot of friends. Best always to see if you know anyone who has used the doc.  Also, you can meet the doc and staff and see results, etc..   Not all great surgeons have a million photos available because many patients do not want their faces advertised online,etc...Good luck.

Multiple doctor referral for rhinoplasty surgeon

It is a very good sign that multiple ENT and plastic surgeons referred that Surgeon to you.  It is also equally important to look at the doctor's before and after photos  Gallery to get an idea of what they can accomplish with a rhinoplasty procedure.  That photo gallery should be extensive, displaying the extensive amount of work that he /she has done.  An excellent revision rhinoplasty surgeon is also excellent at primary rhinoplasty procedures.  For more information along with our extensive rhinoplasty photo Gallery,please see the link and the video below

If a Dr was referred by multiple ENT and plastic surgeons, does that automatically mean he is good? Or he has a lot of friends

The 'needing' to see hundreds of photos of before and after is something that has started but means absolutely nothing in terms of how qualified the surgeon is. All the pictures in the world would no guarantee that you will have the same result, so feel comfortable with your surgeon first and do not worry about the need for hundreds of before and after photos

Julio Garcia, MD

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Finding the right rhinoplasty surgeon

Finding the right surgeon for your rhinoplasty is definitely a process. While it helps to have referrals, it is also important to look at the surgeons's credentials. Is he board certified? Does he have a website? Has he performed a lot of rhinoplasty procedures? Personally, I always think it's smart to have consultations with multiple surgeons before making your decision so if I were you, I'd find one or two more surgeons on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website in your area whose rhinoplasty work you like and schedule appointments. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon