Are there any doctors in the Sacramento, Bay Area, Stockton area who are willing to do silicone implants on a patient under 22?

I am 20 years old and wanting to get silicone implants. I've read on here that multiple doctors are willing to do silicone on a patient under 22 as long as they sign a consent form that states they are aware that it's "off label" use. Are there any doctors in the Sacramento, Stockton or bay areas who would be willing to perform a BA with silicone implants on me?

Silicone implants on a patient under 22?

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Therefore, I find that I DO use silicone gel breast implants for patients under the age of 22 frequently.   

Although I cannot provide you with specific names, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Basically, patients should look at the overall "quality" of the outcomes achieved;  in other words, it will be important that patients see lots of examples of outcomes that they would be pleased with.  In doing so patients will be able to get an idea of each  plastic surgeon's "aesthetic sensibilities". Of course, careful evaluation of the photographs (including factors such as time out of surgery and initial anatomic starting point) will be important as patients evaluate before/after photographs.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Silicone Implants under 22 years old

It is perfectly safe to use silicone implants in someone under 22 years of age, and I have no doubt you can find an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who feels the same. As others have mentioned, the recommended age of 22 is based on the youngest person in the FDA study, but that does not mean it is not safe in a 20 or 21 year old. Visit the American Board of Plastic Surgery website to find a qualified surgeon in your area. Good luck!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Silicone implants

You should not have a problem finding a surgeon to do that. Do your research, and find surgeons you think are good, and then call their offices and ask.

Good luck,

Greg Sexton, M.D.

Columbia, S.C.

Silicone Breast Implants and the 22 yo FDA mandate

Patients will often ask why there is an FDA restriction on the use of silicone breast implants in patients under the age of 22 (for cosmetic purposes). The reasoning is based upon the studies of implant safety conducted before the lift of the FDA moratorium in 1992. The youngest patient in the study was 22 years old. Ultimately, the recommendations were made based upon the demographics of the patients sampled during the study. 

There is no reason to believe that an implant that is safe in a 22 year old would be unsafe in a 21 year old. Patients should be aware that while their use in younger patients is generally considered to be safe, their use in (for cosmetic purposes) in patients under age 22 is considered off label. That being said, the use of these devices is fairly common.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon