Do any doctors out there recommend vitamin supplementation or proper nutrition to help the body recover post op?

Postop supplements

Hello, the majority of people get enough nutrition in their food that they do not require additional supplements.  However, some surgeons do suggest taking additional vitamins and/or nutrients like protein.  I'd suggest speaking to your PS about their specific advice for you.

Nutrition after surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. One thing that helps ensure that the body recovers quickly is upping your protein intake before and during your healing time. This helps helps promote good healing of your incisions. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin Supplementation for Post Op

I suggest to my patients beginning #supplements such as #bromelain or #arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your #recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment.

Vitamin supplementation or proper nutrition to help the body recover post op?

Thank you for the question. Although everyone would agree that careful attention to good nutrition is important, there is no specific “recommended diet” for the pre or post-tummy tuck patient. A well-balanced diet with high fiber and a good protein source would obviously be helpful. Adding a protein shake ( to each meal) if necessary may also be helpful especially if your appetite is curtailed ( which often happens during this period). Frequent hydration is also important. Best wishes.

Mommy makeover recovery

Proper nutrition is important when recovering from surgery.  Supplements can be helpful when the body is lacking in certain vitamins and minerals, or if extra is needed due to healing.  It is best to discuss with your surgeon what, if any supplements are recommended for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy Makeoverand Vitamins

You should check with your surgeon about this. For my patients, I provide VitaMedica vitamins which are a high quality vitamin that does not contain vitamin E which is a blood thinner that can interfere with recovery. I also have my patients take a VitaMedica supplement that contains Arnica Montana and Bromelain which help reduce swelling and bruising. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon