Does a doctor's before/afters matter more than doctor's willingness to do what you want?

I met with a dr who I loved as a person. Seemed really eager to give me what I want and not do MORE than I wanted. My worry is that the tips in his before and afters all point up, and I love my droopy tip. Should I avoid because I do not like his before/afters, or should I continue to consider him because he seemed to understand what I want? I am really scared about this process and don't want to look different after! Bedside manner goes a long way here...but so do results! How do you know?

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty is the key

Bedside manner, while important, is secondary to results.  Great surgical results is all that really matters when doing your nose.  You don't want to end up botched.  and you don't want a surgeon who will do whatever you ask for.  You want one with an artistic eye who isn't scared to say NO or tell you NO for certain things. 

There are 2 main types of rhinoplasty:

1) cosmetic primary noses with no previous surgery (these should always be done CLOSED aka SCARLESS. 

2) Botched or Revision noses with history of previous surgery ( these usually require a reconstructive surgery which requires open rhinoplasty with an external scar).

If you are a primary nose with no previous surgery, you should ONLY consider closed scarless rhinoplasty (preferred by actresses and celebrities) because there is no risk of external scarring and much less healing and recovery time.  The goal is to finesse and enhance the nose without drastic change.  Meaningful refinement is the key.   All the same surgical maneuvers your nose requires can be performed with a skilled closed scarless surgeon. 

Seek counsel with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs closed scarless rhinoplasty as 100% of his surgical practice so you know you can guarantee the expertise.  (aka don't get your nose done by a breast surgeon or a facelift surgeon).  Doing your nose the first time with the right surgeon is the key to avoid a botched or revision surgery in the future.  All the best!

Are Rhinoplasty results More Important than Bedside Manner?

Results do give you an insight into a surgeon's aesthetic taste and technical skill. Having said that an experienced surgeon can show you examples of noses in patients where you like the results. If not I would get a second opinion from other surgeons because you will be looking at that nose for many years.

Communication

You have to communicate your desire to your surgeon. He should explain his approach and give pros and cons to all that he suggests. Best of luck.

Doctors before and after photographs do matter

The doctor's before and after photographs from his/her rhinoplasty practice give patient's an idea of what style of nose that they perform.  If she do not like that style, best to choose another surgeon.

Finding the right doctor for your rhinoplasty

It is certainly important that you trust your surgeon. It sounds to me as if you trust that he listened and heard what is you want which is definitely part of the equation. However, the other part is does he have the expertise and training to deliver those results. I would first ask if he's board certified ? Second, has he done a lot of rhinoplasty procedures? If you can answer yes to both of those, go forward. However, I never think it's a bad idea to get another opinion so you may want to book a consultation with another surgeon in your area and compare. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon