Coolsculpting(Zeltiq) for the back of the neck?? (photos)

Hi, I have Buffaloes hump in the back of my neck but the fat is not hard. it is very soft when I touch it and when pressure on it moves around. Will cool sculpting work on it?

Buffaloes Hump and CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is great to reduce subcutaneous fat bulges.  It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to go over your expectations and learn all of your options before making a decision on how you would want to treat this.  CoolSculpting uses a vacuum applicator, so based off of your picture, you may not be able to pull enough into the applicator to get the result you want.  Liposuction may be a better alternative for you.  Get a consultation to be sure of your options. 

Is CoolSculpting appropriate for your concerns?

If you are questioning if CoolSculpting is an appropriate procedure to address your concerns, please schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your geographical area. Your plastic surgeon  will have an array of options and will be able to recommend the best treatment plan to produce results. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting a buffalo hump

Coolsculpting is wonderful for localized areas of fat but not all localized areas of fat are good for Coolsculpting. To determine if you are a good candidate, a face to face consultation is best so the area can be evaluated most accurately.  Generally speaking, a buffalo hump would not be ideal.  Definitely worth an evaluation for Coolsculpting with a Plastic Surgeon that can also perform liposuction if necessary or better for your particular case.  Good luck

Grant Stevens, MD

Is Coolsculpting the best procedure for this concern

Thanks for your question. I think that Coolscupting is a wonderful tool for certain situations but typically reduces fat volume by about 20-25%. I am not sure whether one might  be satisfied with this much removal in a Buffalo hump and might suggest a better tool might be liposuction. It can be done relatively easily through an  inconspicous incision in a skin fold or at the base of the neck. It can also be more aggressive and remove all of the unwanted fat. It doesn't require much recovery and doesn't have to be that expensive. I would seriously consider liposuction over Coolscupting in this situation and our office, like many, has both techniques available. Thanks for your question.

Michael D. Cohen, MD

Coolsculpting

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon to see if this is a possibility. It may be possible, but you would need to assessed. 

Best of Luck, 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting(Zeltiq) for the back of the neck??

Thank you for your question. I would recommend visiting a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, explore the nonsurgical and surgical options, and find an option that will work best. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Buffalo hump - Coolsculpting?

It might be possible to treat. As the prior physician stated, it needs to be sucked into the handpiece to work. The new CoolMini might work but it would have to be evaluated in person. Liposuction is best. Sculpsure would work because it is just applied topically to the skin without suction needed.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

See A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

There are new cool sculpting adapters that can be placed directly on the skin and do not require loose skin to be drawn into the device.  If you are interested in possibly cool sculpting, find a board certified plastic surgeon who also does cool sculpting, and he or she will tell you if it is possible to do.  If you go to a non-surgeon for cool sculpting consultation, they will not tell you about the surgical options, which may or may not be better for you.  Best of luck to to you!

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Buffalo hump treatment

Localized areas of fat in the back of the neck are referred to as a "buffalo hump".  They are not harmful and can be reduced for cosmetic reasons.  Liposuction would work the best, but it would require a surgical procedure.  The best non surgical option would be SculpSure, laser fat removal.  It takes only 24 minutes, is not painful and there is no down time.  It removes 25% of the fat, so 2 sessions might be necessary.

CoolSculpting would theoretically also work in this area, except you need loose skin to fit into the CoolSculpting applicator head.  There is no loose skin in this area, so CoolSculpting would not be an option.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Dawers Hump

It may difficult to apply a unit to that area.  Liposuction maybe a better alternative for you.  I would recommend you having a consultation.

Eric P. Bachelor, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon