Do I need to do botox on my upper lip and around my eyes before doing a co2 laser procedure? (photo)

Right now I only do botox on my forehead and the line between my eyes. I am 50, fair skin, & I have wrinkles around my eyes and upper lip. I was told this was necessary to ensure a better result and better healing.

Combination treatments with laser resurfacing, eMatrix and microneedling for the fine lip wrinkles

thank you for your Q.

I recommend combination treatments with laser resurfacing, eMatrix and microneedling for the fine lip wrinkles.

Best
dr Karamanoukian

Do I need to do botox on my upper lip and around my eyes before doing co2 laser procedure?

Botox in the upper lip and around your eyes will have minimum or no affects on your laser surgery. Please make sure that you consult a board certified dermatologist so you can receive the best results. Good luck Dr. Downie.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and laser

No, botox is not necessary to get a good result with a laser,  Botox is sometimes used for fine lip lines.

Botox not necessary, but may help

I don't see where Botox in your lips can help with the results of a laser peel, but I can see where Botox in the crows feet can help prevent the early recurrence of those wrinkles after the laser peel. I would also recommend continuing the Botox of the crows feet to prevent those wrinkles from recurring in the future. On a separate note, if your surgeon is wanting to do a full field CO2 resurfacing, you may want to consider another option. Full field CO2 laser resurfacing has lots of risks and side effects. You may want to consider a less aggressive option since you don't appear to have horribly deep wrinkles. Something like a Halo laser would be a MUCH easier option for you, yet give you significant improvements. Or, you could consider a  fractionated CO2. It would have some downtime, but not the risks. If you really need a full field resurfacing, the erbium laser is just as effective at wrinkle reduction as a CO2 laser (when performed by an experienced physician), and it doesn't have near the risks and problems.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Botox important prior to resurfacing?

Botox injections at least a few weeks prior to resurfacing can be an important part of achieving and maintaining a good result.  Botox works to stop movement in the area leading to quicker resolution of lines in conjunction with laser procedures.  Continued treatment and skin care regimens can help to maintain results from any laser procedure.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox before Laser

Botox around the eyes will help smooth out the lines more but won't have any effect on the results that you will receive from the laser surgery.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox before CO2 laser

It is usually helpful to do Botox prior to a resurfacing procedure.  This reduces muscle activity and smooths wrinkles during the healing phase after laser resurfacing.  As your body lays down new collagen after the laser treatment, it will heal with fewer or less deep wrinkles if you also do Botox.  However, for best results, Botox should be repeated when it wears off.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Do I need to do botox on my upper lip and around my eyes before doing a co2 laser procedure?

It can help but the added expense might deter you >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Botox before Laser Resurfacing or Peel

Anything that reduces the wrinkling of the skin after a laser or peel resurfacing of the skin can help the area heal smoother with less problem. Therefore, the suggestion of Botox before the procedure in the areas you mentioned is reasonable.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Botox before C02 laser

Great question. There is some evidence that combination therapy with Botox and laser resurfacing will improve results. The idea is that the reduced motion around the eyes will improve healing times and outcomes. That being said, it is not standard of care and certainly is not required, as many people get laser treatments without getting botox. In my opinion, if you already use Botox, I would recommend getting injected approximately 1 week prior to your laser resurfacing treatment. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon