Will Bellafill improve these type of Acne Scars? (photos)

I have had 3 treatments of Erbium YAG Laser along with subcision, but without noticeable improvement. 1. I believe the types of scars I have are: rolling scars+ boxcar + atrophic scars but not icepick scars. Is this correct? 2. Will Bellafill improve these type of Acne Scars? 3. Should I try excision and punch grafting before Bellafill?

Bellafill for Acne Scars

Bellafill may be the perfect solution to your scars. FDA approved just for the soft box car or rolling scar, Bellafill gives immediate results that are far superior to any of the treatments that try to thin the skin to improve your scars, like a laser or a chemical peel. The problem with a lot of acne scars is loss of tissue and replacing that tissue is what Bellafill does. At first the replacement is 90% collagen and a little bit of the bio-stimulant that is in Bellafill (PMMA). During the first 3 months after your treatment, the collagen is completely absorbed by your body and replaced with your own tissue. This gives you a very natural soft result that will dramatically improve the rolling or undulating contours that you do not like.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill FDA approved

Bellafill was recently approved by the FDA for treatment of atrophic, distensible acne scars on the cheeks. It is the only dermal filler with FDA approval for acne scars. If this is something that you are interested in i would consult with board certified physician. Also I suggest looking into CO2 fraxel laser for acne scars just based on the severity of your scarring. I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

Bellafill for acne scars

Thank you for your question. Bellafill is an amazing product, meant for mostly atrophic acne scars and nasolabial folds. I think you would really benefit from bellafill. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. PatelĀ 
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Barrington
Oakbrook
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill and Acne scars

To answer your question- yes to all of the above except for more peeling laser treatments. You would benefit from subcision, excision of icepicks and Bellafill

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Darker skin type with deep acne scarring should be treated with Infini and Bellafill

I think your best results will be with the Infini and injecting the deeper rolling scars with Bellafill. The Infini is safe for darker skin if used with the proper depths. Bellafill is not affected by the temperature of the Infini energy. Ice pick scars that aren't responding might benefit from TCA cross treatment too.  See the link.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Boxcar type scars & fractionated CO2 laser

Bellafil can definitely support the downward pull of the base of the scar, but I think you will get the best results by being aggressive with fractionated carbon dioxide laser treatment.  Newer fractionated therapies would need to be used in series, but impressive results (much better than peeling) can be appreciated when treated regularly over a few years.  In my office, we treat as often as every 2 months and as far apart as every 6 months.  At appropriate settings, which are much different than treating wrinkles on the face, downtime can be minimal.

Michael H. Swann, MD
Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Based on your photos, you may be a candidate for microdroplet silicone injections to permanently improve your acne scarring.

You appear to have broad based, depressed acne scars. In our experience, many people who have had unsuccessful laser treatments and scarring like you may benefit from Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. We have no experience with Bellafill.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible candidate for Bellafill to treat acne scars

Most people with acne scarring have a combination of types of scars and these scars can have different treatments.  It is possible that Bellafill and excision and/or punch grafting could improve some of your scars.  An exam would be needed to determine which scars would benefit from which treatment.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon