How much does an arm reduction surgery run and what is the approximate recovery time?

What is the pain level post surgery on a scale from 1-10 ?

Arm reduction surgery pain is well controlled with medicine used during and after surgery

Pain after arm reduction surgery can be significantly reduced with the use of Exparel.  This is a numbing medicine that is injected after the procedure that can give pain relief for days!  Also, oral narcotic pain pills can also take care of any residual discomfort.  As far as the costs go, it is much less than most larger body contouring procedures, but I would only be able to give you an exact answer during a consultation.  This is because some patients have more skin than others or need liposuction as well and the surgery takes longer leading to slightly higher costs.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Brachioplasty Cost and Recovery Time

Hi, thanks for this question. 

Brachioplasty, or arm lift, helps tighten the loose skin in upper arms and can give a firmer and more youthful contour to your arms. At our office in Maryland, a general or local anesthetic may be used, with most patients choosing the general anesthesia. The whole procedure usually takes about two hours and after a supervised time in the recovery room, patients can go home the same day. While every patient is different, a pleasing look is noticeable within the first seven days which becomes even more natural looking over the next three to six months

At our office, arm lifts average between $5,500 and $8,000. Since each individual has specific needs, your estimate could vary depending on several factors. It’s always recommended that you speak with an experienced board-certified cosmetic surgeon in your area to learn more about your options and candidacy for this procedure.

Michael Chiaramonte, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Considerations Associated With Brachioplasty

A brachioplasty is an extremely satisfying operation for both patient and surgeon, when executed correctly on the appropriate patient.  In terms of pain, it is usually very well tolerated by patients, while, for recovery, we generally counsel patients to plan to take approximately two weeks off from work after the procedure. 

If properly planned, the scar, depending on its length, can placed in a more inconspicuous location on the posterior aspect of the medial upper arm.  The cost of the procedure will vary according to the extent of the brachioplasty, whether concomitant liposuction is performed, the type of anesthesia employed, and whether the procedure is done in a doctor's office, ambulatory surgery center or hospital.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Thanks for the question.  

The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. Is usually a very well-tolerated procedure with most patients reporting pain on the lower end of your scale. 

When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery listed on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  You may also find the attached link, dedicated to arm lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Brachioplasty Cost and Recovery #armlift #brachioplasty

• An arm lift is a great procedure for patients who have an excess of upper arm skin, usually after major weight loss.  
  • Interestingly, even though the incision/scar are very long in order to manage all of the excess skin, pain afterwards is usually surprisingly low.  Most of my patients rate the pain between 1-3.  Some patients take narcotics for several days. 
  • You can expect swelling of the arms, and sometimes this takes over a month to completely resolve. 
  • The cost here is around $8,500.  

Arm reduction

In many cases, skin excision brachiaplasty can be avoided by using Vaser ultrasound liposuction +/- smart lipo to remove fat and tighten skin. That recovery is much shorter.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations. 

Cost and recovery of a break your plastic or arm lift.

Depending on the size of the problem expect to pay $6-$8000. Patients can go about their day-to-day activity immediately after the operation. Most patients are very little discomfort and narcotics are usually not necessary.

Arm lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Arm lift surgery can be very effective in the right patient.  If you have a desk job, I usually advise my patients that they can return to work within one week and return to the gym at that time for lower body exercise.  Upper body exercise should wait 4 weeks.  Cost varies by geographic region and surgeon expertise.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD