Am I a good candidate for blepharoplasty and epicanthoplasty? (photos)

I'm thinking of getting eye lid surgery and was wondering if I was a good candidate for the surgery. I have more skin on my left eye than my right.

Epicanthal folds

If it is the epicanthal fold that is bothering you primarily, it is often the result of a low nasal root.  If you lift the root of your nose and the folds diminish you have identified the problem and should seek a plastic surgeon knowledgeable about this relationship between the nose and the eyes.  Changing the level or reinforcing the tarsal fold is another consideration but must be done carefully and with your input to avoid overcorrection

Blepharoplasty and epicanthoplasty

Yes, I believe you are a good candidate for blepharoplasty and perhaps for epicanthoplasty if this is done through a blepharoplasty incision with thinning of the tissue beneath the epicanthal fold. This can be done without extra incisions that would risk visible scarring. Be sure to see an Oculoplastic surgeon who has experience with Asian eyelid anatomy and can be specific about the techniques/ incisions, risks and benefits. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for blepharoplasty and epicanthoplasty?

A blepharoplasty would make your upper lids have a wider appearance. Generally I am not in favor of epicanthoplasty in Asian patients because of the risks of scarring in this location. 

Fred Suess, MD

Double eyelid surgery

I am also not a fan of epicanthal surgery because I do not like the scars. A double eyelid procedure sound reasonable. Best of luck.

Double fold surgery, yes.

Epicanthoplasty I do not recommend.  It puts a visible scar in a highly visible place.  For this reason, I think the risk does not outweigh the benefit of taking your lids form an inside fold to an outside fold.  Look for a highly experienced eyelid surgeon for this work.

Blepharoplasty with medial epicanthoplasty

person examination would be required to ensure that these procedures Richie your desired goals.It appears that you would benefit from a blepharoplasty of the upper kids and medial epicanthoplasty. An in person examination would be required to ensure that these procedures would achieve your desired goals.

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon