3 weeks post op Gynecomastia surgery, right side still puffy? (photos)

I had my surgery on January 4th (a little over 3 weeks ago) and it was an incision only surgery. My main concern was both my nipples were puffy and stuck out of my t-shirts. Although I am pleased with the results thus far my right nipple is still puffy around the top while my left nipple is completely flat, it look's pretty weird so far and I just want to know if its just swelling and if you think it will get more flat like the left nipple or is revision surgery needed? Thank you.

Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple still puffy after gynecomastia.

Thank you for your question and pictures after gynecomastia surgery. Basically, three weeks after gynecomastia surgery is too early to tell anything about the final results. After gynecomastia surgery, it can take 8 to 12 weeks for swelling to subside. Swelling after gynecomastia surgery is dependent on many things. These include the nature of the surgery, your healing capacity, amount of tissue trauma, and amount of chest compression after the surgery, to name a few.

It is way too early to determine if you will need revision surgery. For now, I would suggest continuing chest compression and minimizing activities which involve the pectoralis major muscle. I would follow up routinely with your plastic surgeon to have your questions answered.

Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia surgery. If you have any questions regarding healing from male breast reduction surgery or gynecomastia surgery in general, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Asymmetric gynecomastia healing

As you know, you are still very early in the healing process. The asymmetry you are observing can be a number of things which will resolve on their own, including swelling, a small collection of blood, a small collection of serum, or others. You can expect to see your final results anywhere from 3 to 6 months. If there are any concerns at that time, you should see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Nipple puffiness

At three weeks post surgery, you are a bit early in the healing process and this may be related to swelling. I would give it at lest 4-6 months.

It is difficult to determine as swelling may last several months. Should this persist, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

You are still healing from your procedure and as each side of the body will heal differently this is normal. Give it some more time for the swelling on the right side to go down. I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.
Best wishes or an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.