I am a 60 year old woman who has excess fat and loose skin on my upper thighs. What would be the best treatment for me? (photo)

Excess skin and fat on thighs

Improving the contour of the legs above the knees often takes a few steps for the best results. Liposuction will decrease the overall size of your legs, but alone can leave skin looser, and worsen the appearance of cellulite. This is especially true when the area just above the knee. A thigh lift will remove excess skin - especially on the inner things, but the amount of skin that can be removed and the amount of lift is sometimes limited by the thickness of the fat. For patients looking for the most dramatic results, I recommend a 2-staged procedure with the first operation being maximum circumferential liposuction, followed by a period of wearing a compression garment and deep tissue lymphatic drainage massage treatments. A second operation can be done to do a medial thigh lift after all of the swelling is gone, roughly 3 months after the first operation. The medial thigh lift will remove excess skin on the inner thighs and give a lift to the tissue all the way down to the upper knee region. During this second operation, touch up liposuction can be done to provide final contouring. For some patients who are looking for an extra added benefit, I recommend VASER Shape treatments to help smooth out the results of liposuction.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Management of Medial Thigh Skin Sag

It's not unusual for patients to be concerned about the appearance of their thighs. When this situation arises, a multitude of treatment options are available. The specific procedure chosen will depend upon the patient's anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

Although your pictures are helpful, it's hard to formulate a definitive treatment plan without a physical examination. With this said, your history and pictures suggest that you would be an excellent candidate for liposuction of your hips and thighs. This procedure has the potential to dramatically improve your thigh contour.

Unfortunately, this procedure can sometimes result in thigh skin sag. Under these circumstances, thigh lift may be required at a later date. Despite the potential for skin sag, liposuction is associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.

If you're considering surgery to re-contour your thighs, it's appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to perform an evaluation and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

Best treatment for loose upper thigh skin

A combination of liposuction and an inner thigh lift is almost certainly the best approach, based on the photos.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Based on your photos, work out with your surgeon a detailed plan as to what should be done for each area that bothers you and reasonable expectations. Best wishes.

Excess fat and loose skin on my upper thighs

From you photos,I doubt that liposuction alone will correct the loose skin. I would recommend combining liposuction with inner thigh lift to both tighten the skin and remove excess fat.Afterwards, we like to offer additional non-invasive procedures to further smooth the skin.

Burr von Maur, MD

Thank you for your question. Typically for patient's who have a similar situation as yours, I suggest a two staged approach to achieve optimal results. The first stage will involve bulk liposuction/ liposculpture to the circumferential thighs. The second stage will involve touch up liposuction along with a medial thigh lift to remove excess skin. These procedures can be done at the same time, however, you cannot attain the results you would by splitting it up into two separate procedures. My only other suggestion would be to make sure that you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with The American Board of Plastic Surgery. Doing so will help ensure that you are in qualified, professional hands. I hope this information helps you and good luck.

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Diplomat, American Board of Surgery
Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery  

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

I am a 60 year old woman who has excess fat and loose skin on my upper thighs. What would be the best treatment for me?

I would visit with an expert in both liposuction and body contouring procedures to address your specific needs.  An exam and a discussion of your goals will be necessary.

Loose skin on thighs

there are only twp choices.  one is to directly excise them.  this option will give you a good look; however, the recovery is longer and the scar will become wide with time.  the second option will to undergo liposuction.  this will give you a good result as well; however, there will be some redundant skin left. the recovery is less and the result can be very good.

Shahin Javaheri, MD