Can Anyone Tell Me What This Might Be & How I Might Be Able to Fix It? (photo)

I noticed the deformity in about 7th grade. I am 23 years old now. It is really hard and a little darker . Sometimes it feels as if I'm squeezing my leg and not relaxing . Do you have any idea what it could be and how it could be fixed ?

Doctor Answers 6

Buttock Contour Deformation

It sounds as though you have some chronic form of inflammation localized to this area.  I would see a local dermatologist for an examination and possible biopsy to confirm a diagnosis and selective treatment to stabilize the process.  Once stabilized, I think autologous (using your own) fat transfer may be your best option to fill in the depressed area.  For this I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in buttock augmentation.  Glad to help... @DRRYANSTANTON

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 119 reviews

Buttock contour deformity

The actual cause of this deformity is difficult to say but a dermatologist may be able to give you more information. As far as the treatment, it will likely require a fat transfer to the area to add volume and fill in the irregular contour.

Consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for more information.

Best wishes,


William Bruno, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 382 reviews

Panniculitis Adiposus Can Cause Buttock Deformtites.

Thank you for your quesiton and photo.  Your photos most likely show a case of panniculitis.  It is an inflammatory disorder that affects the skin, fat and fibrous septations that are common in the buttock region.  The inflammation and fibrosis of the septations and fat are likely causing shortening and retraction of the fibers causing the indentation. Diagnosis would be made by a biopsy by a Dermatologist.  Management can be challenging but can include nonsteroidals, steroids and other treatments.  I would recommend consulting with a board certified dermatologist to get the condition under control.  Once your are stable, then cosmetic correction can be consdidered with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in buttock procedures.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 77 reviews


I took care of a patient with the exact same problem. After many questions we came to the conclusion this happened from a fall on the edge of a step years ago. If so this is easily correctible

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Fat Grafting to Buttocks for Contour Abnormality

   Fat grafting to the contour abnormality may be the best alternative, but an exam would be necessary to examine quality of skin and nature of the deformity.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

Buttock Deformity

Thank you for your question. I would do a biopsy first to establish a diagnosis for your deformity. Once we have the diagnosis we could establish a treatment plan that would best fit your goals and expectations. This would most likely involve fat transfer to the buttock adding shape and volume.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.