Radiesse and numerous Botox injections in the same exact area - can the results overlap?

I had Radiesse/botox both in exactly the same area (bunny lines/chin) at the same time in February. I later had botox in my bunny lines in May and Oct - both again over the same spot the Radiesse was injected. Can there be an interaction with the2? My cheek immobility/droop started in May but I put it down to the Radiesse, so sadly had the botox done again and now I have the chipmunk look I had May-Sept. Because the Botox is on top of the Radiesse, will the Botox results last longer now again?

Interactions Between Botox and Radiesse

Botox works by blocking signals from the nerves to the muscles. The injected muscle can no longer contract, which causes the wrinkles to relax and soften.

Radiesse works by adding volume under the skin. Radiesse continues to work by stimulating your body's own natural collagen. Botox and fillers could have a synergistic effect. Botox typically wears off after 3-4 months but it can increase the duration of fillers. Contact your treating physician if you have concerns. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Bunny lines Botox injection

The results of cheek droop have related to improper Botox placement. If the injection if placed too far laterally and not along the nasal wall, muscle that affect the smile/cheek can be affected. I'm not sure about this provider when you speak about Radiesse being placed in the bunny lines. I would move to another provider.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Radiesse and Botox Interactions

Radiesse and Botox are two different treatments, that work two different ways and are usually complementary. Radiesse adds volume, while botox stops wrinkle formation by blocking the muscle movement that causes them. They should work independently and not interact. The best thing for you to do is to ask your doctor what each product is doing for you. If you have a problem with the results, ask what could be expected to help in these areas.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  In most instances a neuromodulator like Botox or Xeomin works synergistically with dermal fillers to improve upon a patient's facial appearance.  Their results do not overlap.  Without photographs it is difficult to offer definite recommendations but revisit your injector to discuss your results and where you would like to be.  Hope this helps.

Botox and filler at the same site

Botox is a medication injected into target muscles to selectively weaken them for fewer and softer wrinkles. 

Fillers are substances injected to improve contours of the face.

The two are frequently used together and may even be used in overlapping areas. Together I find they create an overall more natural result. This looks better than using individual treatments because it's a more complete treatment for the multiple factors causing signs of aging. However, the filler does not make the botox last longer.  I recommend consulting with a doctor who will do a comprehensive evaluation of your face before presenting treatment options appropriate for a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be patient--soften look with radiofrequency and laser

No, they won't interact together. Radiesse won't increase the longevity of Botox.  I suggest seeing an expert if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and Filler Done at the Same Time

Hi and thank you for sharing your question here! In general there is no problem with injection of the Botox and any fillers at the same time and at or near the same areas. Each of them has separate function and they are not expected to interfere. However, simultaneous injection of Botox and fillers requires more experience and skill, to be able to envision and predict how each will affect the face and how they will work together to create the most natural-looking results. I do commonly inject both Botox and fillers during the same appointment and my patients also live it as they save time and I can do the follow up for both of them at the same time. I hope it helps and good luck!

Elham Jafari, MD
Irvine Physician

Radiesse and Botox in same area

If Botox and Radiesse are injected into the same area, one should not affect the results of the other.  Botox results should not last longer when used on top of Radiesse.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon