Hematoma from labiaplasty. Drained 2 days ago and I feel like it's back to before? Any tips on getting swelling down fast?

It's been 9 days since my surgery and it has been honestly a terrible experience. I've had extreme swelling since day 1 and not much improvement. 2 days ago I was able to see a doctor who tried draining the hematoma (I don't want that done again). I've been resting and icing and going crazy. I go back to the doctors Monday, and I really don't want him to drain anything again, it was terrible. If there are any suggestions to help get the swelling down that would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. However, if you are having hematoma or draining questions it may be a good idea to see your surgeon in person to ensure that healing is taking the proper course. Best of luck!

Labiaplasty concerns

Swelling can be impressive after labiaplasty and I assume your surgeon is an experienced labiaplasty surgeon.  If your swelling was on both sides, it was very unlikely you had a hematoma.  Assuming you did as you stated, was anything recovered from the attempt to drain it?  As this point, you have to focus on healing and trying to keep your swelling down (sitting and standing will make it worse).  So laying down with pillows propping up your buttock may help.  Ice helps for the first 2-3 days then warm compresses can be used to help with bruising.  Time and patience is what you need to allow yourself to heal.  Best wishes...

Curtis Wong, MD

It is always unpleasant to have a complication and certainly hematomas are very painful. Now that it has been drained it will take time for the remaining blood clot and swelling to reabsorb. I have found that oral Arnika Forte helps quicken the process. You may want to use warm compresses now that it is past the first 48 hours. Don't hesitate to call your surgeon if there is worsening pain or any signs of infection.
Leslie Kardos MD

Gynecologist, San Francisco

Post labiaplasty complications

Thank you for sharing.  It would be of utmost importance for us to have a visual picture showing the area of concern.  In the meantime, I would strongly recommend keeping your surgeon informed about what is happening both physically and your anxiety.  I would also recommend that if you are not comfortable with your surgeon, then seek an experience second opinion.

Best of luck to you.

Labiaplasty should not be a "terrible experience!" Did you see a true EXPERT or just "...someone local?!?

Suggestions:1. Send us a photo please if you wish any usable intelligent personal information. I can't help you at all without a couple of closeup in-focus pics. Write back with photos!!2. Follow up with your personal surgeon (the one you paid the big fee to..!) (S)he is the person who should be following you, treating you, helping you. Surgical fees include close personal attention & followup. However, if you saw a doc who did it "...in the hospital, under insurance," then--good luck (!), you are probably on your own...
Best wishes!
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Hematoma formation is a risk associated with labiaplasty procedures.  Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes to resolve this problem.  Symptom management, ie icing the area, can relieve some of the discomfort, but in general it will just take time to heal.  It is important to continue regular follow up and to adhere to the post op recommendations given by your surgeon. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon

Hello Melissa,Hematomas are a risk with any surgery. I encourage you to follow up with your surgeons advise and recommendations. The vulvar area is resilient so you'll be amazed at how well you heal despite this development. There isn't anything you can do to quicken this process.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty: Hematoma

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry about your current condition.  A hematoma can occur postoperatively after a labiaplasty.  I would recommend keeping your appointment for today with your surgeon.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

If you have a hematoma after labiaplasty, see your surgeon asap

Trying to drain a hematoma and actually draining a hematoma are two different things. At 7 days after surgery, blood has already clotted and very little liquid is able to be drained. Worsening swelling from residual clot may be due inflammation or infection. Go see your surgeon.

Hematomas are usually self limiting --- this means they stop growing because the pressure of the surrounding tissue and the blood collection itself puts pressure on the bleeding vessel and the bleeding stops.  Usually once the bleeding stops ( as long as the patient is not bleeding out from the incision site) the hematoma stops growing and their is nothing to do because the blood i.e. hematoma will be absorbed over the next 6-12 weeks back into your lymphatic system.   I recommend to my patients to do nothing. You will be tender longer but it will all resolve.